Painting PVC

We had our windows replaced with u-PVC and also had a door replaced with a window. The window fitters put in a plastic window sill, which is fine, but I don't like the colour (it's printed to look like oak). It's also made of PVC (I imagine) - how can I paint it? What sort of primer does it need? I've had success with ESP in the past - and the literature suggests that it will work with PVC - does anyone have any experience of it?

Thanks

Edward

Reply to
Edward

No need for an primer,just wipe the upvc down with ether meths or white spirits and let it dry off,then mask the glass. DIY sheds or paint shopds for this...Humbrol do a can of spray for plastics and are more or less the same size as car spray aerosols. Colours are limited though so you might have to shop around.

Reply to
George

I've always believed you needed a strong solvent (e.g. Hammerite) to etch the pvc. ESP appears to be water based, so presumably it creates a film that sticks to the surface. I don't like the sound of it

Reply to
stuart noble

Oil-based gloss top coat paints PVC very well. No primer or undercoat is used -- the solvent in the paint carries the paint into the surface of the PVC (it absolutely won't come off, so don't get it on any PVC where you don't want it).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Edward,

No experienced the use of ESP (Easy Surface Preparation presumably) ?

But these words are straight from the mouth of an AKZO paint Technical Rep some years ago regarding painting plastic soil pipes and the like with a gloss paint:

"simply give a light rubbing-down, wipe down the plastic with white spirit, let it dry and then apply two (or three if required) coats of gloss to the surface - rubbing down between coats" - and that was that, NO primer or undercoats.

It worked on that material - so it may be an option for you.

Tanner-'op

Reply to
Tanner-'op

Just make sure it's clean and paint straight with oil based topcoat. No primer necessary. It will last far longer than paint on wood regardless of how well you prep the wood.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks for all the suggestions - I'll go with a light rub, clean with white spirit and straight on with the top coat

Edward

Reply to
Edward

And see brush marks on ya nice new DG sill. :-(

Reply to
George

I've painted PVC windows a few times and it's always lasted brilliantly. I think this is because PVC doesn't move around like wood so the paint does not crack

My question is to the group. Has anybody painted a PVC vertical sliding sash (like the system 10 v/s sliding windows).

I hate white PVC windows and would like to paint a vertical slider a deep blue colour. Do you think if I painted it deep blue that you would notice the "shut lines" where the sashes slide against the outside frame?

If the paint rubbed of and you saw white lines that would look awful!! There was a firm who once sprayed PVC windows. Has anybody seen the results!

Thanks!

Reply to
LightingMan