Painting on new plaster

Hi. I have some newly plastered wall and some 'salts' have appeared on it. Is it ok to just paint over it or what do I need to do first?

Thanks.

Arthur.

Reply to
Arthur

The salts will brush off, but they are normally an indication of a damp wall, so they'll likely form again. Why was the wall newly plastered? You probably have to stop the wall being damp, or prevent the damp reaching the plaster.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

the salts will continue to appear for a number of weeks. You could use a dehumidifier until the plaster is completely dry. If you do paint the wall, you must use a porous paint, which can be obtained from trade outlets and sometimes even Homebase and the like. Do not use anything oil based (like anti-condensation or mould paints) because it will only exacerbate the problem.

Reply to
John Key