Painting old gas fire

I have a (probably) 1970's or 80's gas fire, with a rather dated chipboard casing. I want to rejuvanate it with either a coat of paint, or replace it with new wood.

My question is which paint should I use to cover over the chipboard laminate? Cutting some new wood to replace would not be a problem, but I would rather go with a quick fix to allow me to move onto other projects!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
mwg