Painting a door

I'm decorating a bedroom. for the door, I've used expensive paints, expensive brushes and sanded down between 3 undercoats and two topcoats. It looks OK. I'm comparing it with my bathroom door. I had a new bathroom put in and the guy painted throughout. The door feels like glass, with no brushstrokes visible. Did he use a roller, or some other way of achieving this finish?

Reply to
goodolpete

A good brush and years of practice working for fussy clients. HTH.

At least it's not as bad as plastering, which involves a signature in blood on a suspicious looking piece of parchment.

Reply to
John Williamson

Regardless of what you're painting, I find that one of the best ways of minimising brush strokes is to try to brush TOWARDS where you have just painted (and not away from it). So, if you were painting a door, and starting at the bottom, you make your brush strokes* downward while working your way upwards.

*Obviously, you might initially slosh a section of paint on fairly roughly, but do make the finishing strokes towards where you have just been.
Reply to
Ian Jackson

Huh!

The way I was taught doesn't work with modern paint. (Lay it on, cross brush to spread the paint and then lightly brush to remove the marks)

I now find that, part way through the second brushing, the surface seems to collect globules of paint which are then difficult to disperse.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb