Painting a broken tile fireplace hearth - Help please

Before we get into a discussion about painting brick, that deed was done about 25 years ago. The fireplace hearth was originally red, broken tile, set in mortar. It was painted white with an "epoxy paint" - a single can mixture. Now, it has developed chips in a few places. Wife wants it repainted. I figure I can feather out the chip edges and get it ready. The question arises as to what is the best product. As an aside, the firebox is separated from the hearth by a glass door, and the fireplace is seldom used in any case. After googling, I have spoken to mfgrs of everything from tub and tile finishes (who would not hear of their products being used outside the bathroom) to regular paint as well as experts in refubishment field (who tended to go with floor enamel, alkyd paint, and similar over a good undercoat.) Looked at fireproof stove paints, but couldn't find white. Some mfgrs seemed to feel that a seond epoxy might react with the first and lift the whole finish off. So, does anyone have any suggestions, and or experience. All suggestions greatfully accepted. TIA Roy

Reply to
Roy Starrin

Perhaps clean well with tsp. Apply Zinser 123 primer and finish with Pittsburg Aquapon which can be tinted to white.

Reply to
robson