Paint recommendations for metal gates and gate posts?

The gates and gate posts need re-furbishing so I've removed the gates and dug-out the posts (from rather a lot of concrete), cut-off the old hinges and welded-on some new hinge pins to the posts. They're waiting to be shot-blasted to remove the decades of paint and crud, but the question then is what to paint them with ... ? The posts are 4" square and 6' tall (4' above ground and 2' below) and the gates are the usual wrought iron type: 6' wide and 4' tall. I wondered about powder coating them but I don't know how well this will withstand concrete being shovelled in the hole when the posts are re-installed. Also, I'll probably have to weld-on some brackets if I decide to automate the gates so I need a finish I can easily remove and patch-up. All suggestions for paint gratefully received.

Reply to
nothanks

For industrial use, there are a wide range of options. Two part epoxy is perhaps the "gold standard" paint, and this can be patched. But it is somewhat susceptible to UV, so a polyurethane top-coat is often used for outdoor applications (this can be two-pack too).

I'm not sure if this is ever done for fence posts, but steel pipework underground is sometimes protected with two windings of Denso Tape (which looks very much like the old Sylglas, if you remember that).

Reply to
newshound

hot zinc dipped.

Up to you what goes on top.