OT: decaf coffee shortage - is it because of the CO2 shortage?

I usually like to have decaffinated coffee when I take it in the evening, otherwise the caffeine can make it harder to get to sleep. In recent weeks none of the supermarkets seem to have any decaf of any brand. I have an idea that the caffeine is extracted using compressed carbon dioxide, which itself was said to be hard to get a month or two back. So is that the explanation - does anyone know?

Reply to
Clive Page

No idea but proper Walls Neapolitan ice cream tubs are like hens teeth in our local supermarkets ??

Reply to
John J

Lidl don't seem to have any Mulled Wine this year

Reply to
charles

I wouldn't have thought so.

Caffeine extraction using supercritical CO2 is almost closed cycle process so that they only need a bit of CO2 to make up for any losses.

More likely it is local difficulty with distribution. Random things do go short supply with empty shelves appearing here and there.

Tesco online seem to be showing all decaf products as available.

Reply to
Martin Brown

That's more to with it not being Summer. Supermarket freezers are now required for all the frozen Christmas goods. My local supermarket now has freezers full of turkeys.

Reply to
alan_m

Round here, only one of the three big supermarkets has had rinse aid in the past month or two, and then only one of the times I was in.

Reply to
newshound

Plenty on Amazon.....£21 for 6 x 150g Kenco Rich.

Reply to
Sysadmin

poundland has no Walkers ready salted crisps...bummer

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Its due to Brexit - there are now long delays delivering Walkers crisps from China!

Reply to
alan_m

This being a do-it-yourself group, couldn't you just buy the regular beans and then stir them around for a bit in a bucket of acetone?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Dunno about Lidl but Tesco and Asda each have mulled wine - but the alcohol content is only 5.5% compared with 8% last year (I still have a left-over bottle from last year) I know most of the alcohol is going to evaporate when you heat it but - come on now? 5.5%?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Ha Ha..... But seriously, there are loads of UK coffee roasters who would be very pleased to sell you decaf. Just get an Aeropress and you'll get great coffee whenever you want it. I'm still a fan though my son has recently switched to a Mokka pot.

Reply to
Eusebius

In message snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net>, Clive Page snipped-for-privacy@page2.eu writes

Not a shortage as such, just an annoyance. Years ago, bought son one of those silly Cadburys chocolate bar dispensers, with mini bars of chocolate, then refilled it yearly. That was OK until suddenly, Cadburys stopped making the refills.

Similarly, we always decorate the tree with Cadburys chocolate tree decorations, a mixture of squares and disks of solid chocolate. Not this year though, they don't seem to be available anywhere I have looked. Abstrads.

Reply to
Graeme

Didn't the duty due on the amount alcohol in wine change in the last budget?

Reply to
alan_m

I think it did. But I still don't know why they didn't go the whole hog and label it Spiced Grape Beer.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

So what do they do with the co2 and the caf after its removed?? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Waitrose had som last week, first time for a couple of months. No problem though, as Aldidl were well stocked and cheaper.

Reply to
PeterC

I agree that obviously needs to be topped up. Ideally with vodka I suppose. But most hand sanitiser (there's a lot of it about right now for some reason) seems to be largely ethyl alcohol so could be used if you were desperate as the spices in the mulling would surely disguise the flavour. Just make sure that there isn't any methyl alcohol in it as well as that isn't good for you.

Reply to
Clive Page

Ah, thanks. I've rather given up on on-line shopping (given that it was impossible to get a delivery slot during the period last year when we all thought that it was dangerous to venture outside) so didn't think of checking.

Reply to
Clive Page

IPA as in isopropanol or rubbing alcohol isn't much good for you internally either and a many gels have a fair proportion of that in too.

The ones with surfactants and antiseptics in might even be quite dangerous. I doubt if they ever considered people might drink them!

Reply to
Martin Brown