Paint recommendation please...

Hi, I have a utility room which in the past was un-heated and also had little ventilation. The previous occupants did their drying in there (one of those ceiling things) as well as washing etc.

This caused a decent amount of mould on the rather fantastic swirly patterned plaster ( a job for future rectification ). Having added heating and adequate ventilation I would like to paint the walls with something resistant to mould.

There will still be a washing machine and vented tumble-dryer in use so I expect a certain amount of air moisture etc. Would I be best off using an exterior water based masonry paint or is there a suitable mould/damp resistant interior paint on the market?

T.I.A for any advice.

Reply to
Nitro®

If you have sorted humidity, don't worry about paint. Mould will not grow unless the walls are basically wet.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I am just erring on the side of caution, as mould had gotten into the plaster I want to avoid it coming back through. But like you say, as long as the humidity is under control it shouldn't be a problem I guess.

Cheers.

Reply to
Nitro®

Why bother? If you have taken steps to prevent future mould growth by providing ventilation and heating, there doesn't seem to be any point in making the walls mould-resistant - there will be no mould for them to need to resist!

Reply to
Ronald Raygun

Nitro® said the following on 29/08/2010 12:02:

Hi,

Before you do anything you should try and clean it then ... it is a choice. I tend to use Crown Trade products for DIY (Not much Dulux because in the past the local trade counter was not friendly to DIYers, times have changed though ;-) )

For Crown see:

Dulux put "mould" in the search box

Charles C

Ah. That's different. You want to stain stop ..

I would be tempted, though I have never tried it, to use caustic or bleach on the wall to take the mould dyes out first.

That for future growth, yes, but to eliminate from existing, try bleach.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The reviews on this are good:

PeterC

Tabby

Detol mould & mildew cleared up the staining very well.

I will leave it for a couple of weeks before painting.

Reply to
Nitro®

I was concerned that although surface mould had been eliminated I don't want any residue coming back through the paint.

Reply to
Nitro®

Aspirin!

Reply to
Nitro®

Ah. That's different. You want to stain stop ..

I would be tempted, though I have never tried it, to use caustic or bleach on the wall to take the mould dyes out first.

That for future growth, yes, but to eliminate from existing, try bleach.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In that case don't bother with a mould reistant paint. Dilute bleach to kill anything that remains and ordinary emulsion. If it's going to come through it'll come through in days, if not hours.

Is this "next summer" really going to be Summer 2011 or some yet to be determined summer? If the latter bung some stain block on first, any cheap oil based paint will do.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Next Summer, after Christmas and our holiday is paid for!

Reply to
Nitro®