Paint Needed for Shed Support?

I'm painting my shed & have found 1 of the 6 supports that the shed sits on (on top of the concrete base) is rotten. I've managed to get the timber out & have got a new piece to replace it with. I couldn't get treated timber so I've treated it myself (with Cuprinol 5 Star Wood Treatment).

I'm wondering if I should paint it with anything else to get it to last (it'll be pretty inaccessible once fitted). I've got Dulux Weathershield gloss & emulsion, Cuprinol water based garden paint (which I'll be painting the rest of the shed with), teak oil or even just Weathershield preservative primer - or I could go out & buy creasote.

It's pretty much invisible so the aesthetics won't matter - I just want it to last.

Thanks,

Michael

Reply to
michaeld121

on 18/08/2005, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com supposed :

My concern would be why did the original wood rot?

Sat on a concrete base, wet all of the time, might well be the reason why the original rotted. It might be prudent to lift all of the timbers and sit them on something impervious to water (such as roofing tiles), thus allowing air to circulate under the timber.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Alternatively, sit the timbers on some strips of DPC

Harry Bloomfield Wrote:

Reply to
Part P Avoider

I'd paint it with Weathershield primer, as long as most of it stays on you should be OK.

If you can dip the ends of the timber for some time then dip each face in a 'tray' formed of thick DPC plastic and battens it'll be well treated.

Cuprinol Green is good stuff for bare timber in ground contact.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

I'd say if it's got that bad, you probably need a new shed.

Reply to
Ian Stirling