P&B vices (2023 Update)

Does anyone know about P&B who made carpenter's and engineer's vices.

The markings on the one I have indicates that they were made in England but no other clues.

I have trawled the internet but cant find any reference to the history, location the full name of the company or when the ceased trading.

Can any one assist please.

Reply to
JimG

Never heard of them, but I would think there is a very good chance they were made in Birmingham, Sheffield or Manchester.

Those cities all have local archives. You may be able to find something on their web sites. If not, you may need to contact them to ask. You may even need to do things the old fashioned way and visit to look through the archives.

Nightjar

I'm wondering the same thing myself! Funny when you find old beautiful things that are Made in England but barely any info on them online! Let me know if you find out as I'd be curious about the history of the company and these beautiful old vices!

Reply to
Magill Woodcraft Ireland

What is often different is that the older tools tend to have Made in Grt Britain moulded into them. Some stuff made in Poland seem to look exactly the same except that there is just a blank depressed rectangle where the made in bit was. I guess many companies get things made globally these days, but quality can vary as well, I had a set of drill bits that were very very brittle from apparently the Record company who used to make planes of the wood finishing kind, but I just feel its a name off a shelf job these days. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff