P.A.T. and hospitals.

Well mine was only 10 years later .. !

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Fair enough ;) But if you can get hold of an A35 Van in good nick, you'd be allowed to drive it at 70 now!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

On the other hand, would you want to be a completely bedridden, dying woman, with all your brothers and sisters living in Ireland and therefore able to only really make the one visit before you die and you be unable to take their calls in the meantime. She was in for 8 weeks before being diagnosed as terminal - throughout this time she could not receive any of the calls that her family wanted to make to her.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Where I used to work that would have been difficult. PAT was done by one guy with a trolley. Took him a year to do the rounds of the hospital and the labs (like painting the Forth Bridge). The sister would have to know where in the place he was... At least in the labs we got to use new equipment without it being tested, it got done when he came round to us next. I used to work somewhere where we had to send all new stuff to be tested. Most frustrating when a shiny new computer had just arrived, got to unpack it but wasn't allowed to plug it in. Oh and they do condemn things regularly, water baths most often.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

[1]

Well, no of course not, but that seems to be when reason, good manners and good common sense seem to have left us.

Like, being able to take calls from your family V running a company all day long.

But it's always been the minority that spoil it for the minority. The number of times I've see people using mobile phones whist sitting beside the 'Do not use mobile phones' sign in hospital, parking in the disabled / parent/child bays when clearly not eligible or parking diagonally across two (or more) bays just because they can't be arsed or are too stupid / inconsiderate to do any better.

Dare remind them of the rules and you suffer a torrent of abuse (well I generally don't being a big 6'2") but I gave up politely pointing out the 6' long 'No Smoking' signs to those who thought the rules didn't apply to them because it just wasn't worth it so it will be interesting to see what happens on July 1st.

Similarly I watched some lads in a car jump the red's on a roundabout last night, their mates who were following stopped (at least) as I was crossing their path on the green and I watched in my mirror as they drove though the now very red red to catch their mates up. I could have been on my motorbike or bicycle ... ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

[1] Not directly related to the point but as an aside who moved away from who (assuming it wasn't a hypothetical situation Steve)? We are very aware of the fact that her Mum and my Mum and Dad are now quite old and probably not long for this world. We have chosen for that (and other reasons, like daughters school etc) not to 'move away' to our place in the country so we can be available quickly and easily should the need arise.

A few mates have started new lives abroad and I know how difficult it is to get back when something happens within the family.

You can't have it all I suppose .. ;-(

Not sure we ever will now ....

Reply to
T i m

;-)

Like giving a kid a bike for Xmas when it's 2' deep in snow outside .. ;-(

I don't think I ever visited a hospital (or any big public place) and not spotted something that I felt could be considered unsafe or would leave 'unresolved' if it was in my house. The typical example being plug tops with the outer sheath 1" from the restraining / retaining clamp.

So I can't take in a brand new fan without it being 'tested' but have to sit and look at all this incorrect / broken / damaged 'stuff' because they don't have the time / funds / staff to fix it? (I'm not complaining, just an observation).

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

My mother-in-law and father-in-law both moved over here over fifty-years ago - for most of her working life she actually worked in the hospital that treated her so badly in the end!

The problem wasn't so much the logistics of visiting, it was that her family are all in their seventies and eighties, so multiple trips were too hard on them.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Ironic or what ;-(

The (nice) lady in the bed next to my missus was 80 years old and she was regularly visited by her mother who was 103!

At one point there were 5 generations there ..

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

They did all visit at various points, but virtually all only managed the one trip towards the end and one trip for the funeral - they live over in Leitrim, Sligo and Fermanagh, so it's a fair journey right across the country first. Some are pretty fit and well, but others are frail and a couple disabled.

The worst part was that when MIL was well, she was on the phone to one or another pretty well every other night, then when she needed to talk she was isolated. There was only so much that we could pass back and forth in messages and it just wasn't the same.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

And they can always fall back on the emotive statement - "It could set fire to the hospital and you wouldn't like that would you?"

Reply to
John