Oxy/Propane

Hi,
I'm currently looking for a torch using these fuels (no acetylene).
BOC's model 'O' looks like it has the right pedigree, small and handy for jewellery work, but they are v. expensive.
Has anyone further suggestions re a similar torch, or even alternative suppliers?
--
Howard

It was somewhere outside Barstow when Howard
With a domain name like that, I guess you're not interested in my usual recommendation of a big Saffire torch. You can swap the mixers on them, so you can run either propane or acetylene, without a big extra cost.

Nice torches, certainly. I'm surprised they're not too big for jewellery work - I use them for lead burning (welding to make roofing parts)
A good place for buying oxy-fuel kit is eBay. Lots of stuff traded, some new, so you afford to just pick the nicer condition stuff. O torches though are a little rare and very sought after, so they're not exactly cheap. OTOH, regulators, hose etc. are a bargain.
Couple of other points I'd suggest are:
- Get propane hose, not acetylene. LPG puts holes in acetylene hose.
- Get a propane regulator. I know you can run a small torch on an acetylene regulator, and you get gauges too, but I don't trust those diaphrams on LPG.
- Get an "economiser". This is a torch hanging hook with a built in gas-shut-off valve and a pilot light. Well worth it for the convenience, if not the gas savings.
Andy Dingley wrote:

I liked the look of the saffire, but BOC man said they were not for propane use!

The torch is for specific jobs, ie larger melt-ups and platinum work. Both of which require lots of heat, either output or calories(?)

Noted
Noted, thank you
--
Howard

These self generating oxy/hydrogen units were designed for jewellery work
http://www.skiweb.co.uk/agt/Microweld.htm
I've used one of the small models for precision brazing and found it very effective.
Colin Bignell
nightjar <nightjar@ wrote:

I've seen these and not taken to them at all, not for my purposes where More heat and not just high temperature is required.
--
Howard