Ryobi 18v combi drill - anyone got one?

Looking at getting a new cordless drill. Currently been using a Challenge 18v 'cheapy sh*t' (as they are so affectionately referred to here :-)) for the last 3 years. Has been a very reliable drill but battery life after drilling a couple of large masonary holes is poor. Also keep hearing how a professional tool is so much better than the cheap DIY ones. Further, on a smaller point, I'm not a snob but if you're working on-site, other workmen seem to sneer when they see you with it (or is it my paranoia?). Also feel clients may not take me seriously if I'm not carrying the 'right' stuff.

Been trawling through previous threads mainly debating if Ryobi are professional or DIY range but can anyone give some feedback on their current 18v combi drills. Seen a cordless combi 18v drill and reciprocating saw set for £117. Looks good value compared to the DeWalts and Makitas which are more than twice that just for the drill.

This Ryobi offer looks very similar to the Performance Power Pro kit B&Q sell:

there is a massive price difference.

All info appreciated 'cept for flames etc. :-)

Reply to
StealthUK

Aha...like the Nutool & Black 'n Decker professional range ;)

US site but plenty of reviews of Ryobi

Chris Oates

Ryobi are DIY and private label grade tools.

You could usefully pick up a copy of Axminster Power Tools catalogue. In there they have a classification system for almost all of the power tools that they sell ranging from hobby to light trade to trade to industrial.

In the area of cordless tools, apart from the mechanics, the key differentiators are the quality of the batteries and the control of the motor speed/torque.

I would suggest going to a tool store and looking at a Makita and a Bosch drill in the flesh. If you are using a cordless drill seriously and/or professionally then the difference should be startlingly obvious.

The Axminster tools show is a good venue for looking at a wide range of power tools from almost all of the vendors, but that was in November. There is the International Woodworking Exhibition at Alexandra Palace, which also has most of the tool vendors

that isn't until the end of February

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

And the gearbox - plastic vs metal etc...

I got fed up of the cheapos and bought an Axminster own brand 14v4 with dual NiMh batteries. Cost about £70. The performance is excellent compared to a 24v cheapo. They are made in China, although I expect most of the big names are anyway..

Reply to
BillR

They have a pro range. You know that. It says it on their webs site.

Reply to
IMM

They have a range which they *say* is pro.

A few years ago when my daughter was studying for A levels she wanted some revision software so we made a trip together with my son to PC World to see what they had.

I was looking at something else with my son and my daughter came over clutching a box of software.

"This one's good" she said

"How do you know?" asked her brother.

"It says so on the box" she replied.

When we had finished falling about we looked again and found a much better product.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Hello StealthUK

Pretty good bargain at Mole Valley Farmers atm - a Skill 18V drill/driver with two 1.3 ah batteries for ~45ukp. It's a good tool, been using it lots. Smart one hour charger, although a single charge has lasted me three days so far - including refitting the furniture on a dozen or so stable doors.

The cheapest 18v Homebase had was ~55 for an unbranded POS.

Reply to
Simon Avery

Yes. If says pro on it is likely to be anything but. PPPro springs to mind

- perfectly good value DIY tools, but not pro by any stretch of the imagination.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Exactly.

It's the same marketing BS that hotel chains like "Quality Inn" and "Comfort Inn" use..... If they were, they wouldn't need to say it.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

As far as I can tell, the B&Q PPro *is* the Ryobi. I have the B&Q PPro kit and it has been extremely good. All the tools work as they should, and I've tackled a series of big projects using nothing but the B&Q set.

I had a problem with the drill, which I regarded as my fault. I was using the drill to drive 500 x 150mm screws into concrete, and the drill coped well with the mechanical gearbox set to "1". However I was using the drill with the torque set to drill and would tighten the screw up until the motor stalled. Eventually the electronic speed control on the drill burned out (after about 300 screws). I took the drill back to B&Q, explained and there was no argument, they simply swopped the entire set for a new one. No mechanical failures despite the abuse.

The reciprocating saw and circular trim saw were used to cut sheet materials down to size and give a good run of cuts to a charge. The 1 hour charger is fine, the three hour charger sucks so check out the spec of the set that you buy (irrespectiv eof whether it is B&Q or Ryobi badged).

Personally I'd go for the B&Q set it's damn good VFM.

Reply to
Steve Firth

And what evidence to prove otherwise? Protrade, who're a pro dealer, sell them to the trade. I have spoken to a few professionals who use them and no one has said anything derogatory.

Reply to
IMM

So Makita and DeWalt don't say theirs are pro tools then?

Reply to
IMM

At least they wouldn't be breaking the Trade Descriptions Act by so doing......

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I looked at these at the Axminster tool show and compared with Makita.

The general feel and the motor control are not in the same league.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I don't. Andy just needs correcting.

???? Uh!

Reply to
IMM

Well, they don't have "Makita Pro" plastered all over them.

DW is another matter altogether - the low end stuff is nothing more than a fancy case with a mediocre tool housed within, IME. They still don't have "DW Pro" on them tho.

My Atlas Copco stuff doesn't have "Industrial" anywhere on the packaging/casing, but that's exactly what it is.....

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

Hi folks I am a newbie to diy but have been reading this ng for a couple of weeks.

My very first question is:

Why does the guy from IMM seem to jump on Andy Hall's back at every opportunity.

My second:

What does IMM mean is it some sort of company or what if it is a company or whatever they should consider their guy some time of cos he seems to be ill.

Peace xxx

Ammer Chewer

Reply to
Hammer Chewer

My brother bought an entire set of cordless Ryobi stuff from Jewsons (think it was anyway) on an offer for about £340 or so.

Has a chopsaw/mitre saw, combi drill, reciprocating saw and other stuff, came in a large plastic cabinet store on castors with a flip top for the chopsaw.

From memory, I think it's a mixture of 24v/18v and has couple of batteries and chargers.

He was happy with it when I saw him last, he's re-building the kitchen in a currently rented house (an unusual arrangement, but then he's prone to these complex housing arrangements...).

My recollection as to the exact kit is a little hazy - I'm waiting for him to call me back today so I'll ask what is in it and what he reckons to it after the couple of months use that he's had from it when I speak to him and report back.

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

Just spoken to him.

It's all 18v kit, includes compound mitre saw, combi drill, reciprocating saw, torch and a circular saw. Was £300, but he reckons that was a special offer.

He's very happy with it all. Only downside is that he's worried about the drill because it's smoking under load and smelling of overheated windings, but then he's just admitted to using it to drill a 150mm hole through a wall using a diamond core bit, which seems to have caused the problems...)

He also noted that it was probably the same drill as the PPro one at £115 or so in B&Q.

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

Perhaps all the pros you talk to are from the same corral as yourself. I've never seen a pro using shed power tools.

Reply to
Dave Plowman