Ryobi 18v combi drill - anyone got one?

IT can now.

It's time has gone.

Reply to
IMM

By definition, that is not possible. There is a cost associated with designing, manufacturing and supporting products of quality.

It has always been possible to buy cheap products, and that has not changed since the dawn of time. This is achieved by cutting corners such as design content, quality of materials, quality of manufacturing, adding gimmicks (mitre saws with lasers are an obvious example of this) and by not supporting the product.

There is nothing wrong with the consumer choosing to go for the second route if he wishes, but don't try to kid yourself and everyone else that the cheap product is equivalent in all ways to the quality one because it is obvious that it is not.

As far as tools are concerned, you only have to look at product reviews and it is extremely rare that cheap, private label products come out as best of breed. Sometimes they come out as good value for money - that's not in dispute - but best of breed? No.

We mentioned the Taunton 2004 Tool Guide recently ----

Bandsaws - top were Laguna and Delta, bottom were Ridgid (HD private label) and Grissly.

Biscuit Jointers - top were Lamello and Porter Cable, near the bottom Ryobi.

Circular saws - top were Milwaukee and Porter Cable, best value Hitachi

Cordless drills - top were Panasonic, Bosch and Milwaukee, bottom were Ryobi and Grizzly

Cordless reciprocationg saws - top were Porter Cable and Milwaukee

Pillar drills - top were Delta and Jet

Midsize Routers - top were Bosch, Porter Cable and DeWalt

This is quite conclusive.

It may have done for you.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Mass [production with computers controlling/monitoring the process mean cheap good quality goods for buttons. In Victoriana that never occurred.

But you can buy 5 of them for the best of breed.

In customer satisfaction Ryobi were equiv' to Makita and Hitachi

It is not. The all important price/performance is not mentioned.

Reply to
IMM

So please explain why (for example) the PPPro router is a pile of junk. The product is only as good as the design and the quality of materials used.

It's irrelevant. 5 pieces of junk don't add up to one good product.

We already had this discussion and they were not.

Oh it is. The major manufacturer products typically come out as best of breed and best value.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Are you a project manager by any chance?

By this logic a baby can be produced in 1 month if you have 9 women pregnant at the same time...

Reply to
Andy

I've a feeling that he is and works for British Gas ;-)

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Reply to
Capitol

You have it firmly in your head that big price mean big quality. Cheaper products are equally reliable. Medium priced Honda's and Toyota's are more reliable than very expensive Merc and BMWs....just one example.

Reply to
IMM

But you have to apply common sense too.

Reply to
IMM

No, no, no!

Reply to
IMM

There is something of a correlation but it is not 100% - nothing ever is. It's not just my view, but is the opinion from many reviews of many different kinds of product.

That depends. I look at far more criteria than whether the thing is going to break or not. In respect of tools, other factors are accuracy, ease of use and control. Generally these are better on more expensive tools.

But not really relevant. I quite like Toyotas. We had a Corolla for 17 years from new. It cost about £5k at the time, and I am sure that over its entire life we didn't spend more than another £1k on it in total. My wife used it as a runabout to do the shopping and as a taxi service for the kids, but I wouldn't regard it as comfortable or comparable to a BMW 5 series for long journies.

Happy new year, by the way :-)

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Just testing :-)

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Absolutely.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

You have to compare like with like Toyota have cars in the 5 series that are far more reliable and quieter. The new Avensis is advertised as a "quiet" and solid car.

Happy New Year to all.

Reply to
IMM

Must be right then ;-)

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

A friend has a new Avensis and they are right.

Reply to
IMM

I'm pleased for them.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Toyota?

Reply to
IMM

No, your friend. Mind you, I don't suppose that Toyota are too disappointed with the arrangement either.