Overheating extractor fan

No, this is not good. Disconnect the fan and terminate the cable immediately. Fire risk.

Reply to
Grunff

Stop using it immediately and chuck it out. Extractor fans are a common cause of house fires.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Actually, every run-on timer I've seen has done exactly this (they all use that same board). Doesn't always show through the plastic -- maybe yours was made of some particularly cheap plastic?

You could just remove the run-on timer board, and connect the fan directly to the switched supply.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Really? I would not be happy to know that I have a resistor somewhere in the house that looks like that!

Reply to
Grunff

Throw it away and buy a Vent-Axia one.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Hi all, i have an extractor fan which appears to be overheating. I've taken some photos which you can see at:

noticed some discolouration to the fan case (third photo on above page), and on removing the fan case one of the electronic components (a large resistor) appears to be getting very hot (first photo on above page).

I suspect that the big resistor is supposed to get quite warm, but is it supposed to get as hot as this one is please? I'd rather buy a new fan than risk it catching fire!

TIA...Nick.

Reply to
Nick Challoner

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 14:48:03 GMT, Nick Challoner strung together this:

Buy a new one then. They're only £15-20.

Reply to
Lurch

If you buy a new fan make sure it won't suffer the same problem.

Alternatively see if it can be replaced under warrantee and/or put a higher wattage resistor in there.

Carbon never was the best material for power resistors ;)

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 18:46:00 +0100, Pete C strung together this:

A fan that'll never wear out or go faulty, I'd be interested if anyone finds any of these.

Warranty, doubtful. Higher wattage resistor, not worth the faffing about when the fan itself will probably fail soon. Bestb just to change the complete unit for what it costs.

Since when do things get manufactured using the 'best' components? ;-)

Reply to
Lurch

Should be possible to get a longer lasting one. I'd bet most of the failures are down to cheapo electronics, so bypassing them and fitting a remote timer costing £15 would be a good way to go.

Maybe, but if a new fan costs £20 and a new resistor takes 1/2hr to put in, that works out to an 'hourly rate' of £40 for the DIYer, which isn't too bad...

Making a power resistor out of a non combustible material would have been a bit better :)

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 22:56:21 GMT, "Doctor D." strung together this:

But they're not actually the same fan though, there is no overrun timer on those.

Reply to
Lurch

new unit, same risk. Put decent resistor in it, you have a safe unit - but judging by the case you need to spread that heat out, so Id choose a row of Rs well spaced out.

No I wouldnt, Id get rid of the fan, silly things. Get a window lock that will lock it 1/2" open instead. Silent, reliable, cheap, uses no power.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

I have recently removed two in the same house in exactly the same condition as this one. They looked identical, even as far as the badge on the cover. I replaced them with

at £9.39 each.

They may eventually go the same way, but the cooked ones lasted 8 years, the new ones cost less than a tenner, and they took about 10 minutes each to replace.

Reply to
Doctor D.

That assumes you have a window of course.

Reply to
usenet

So "Get a window lock that will .... " is offering an option? :-)

Reply to
usenet

replying to Pete C, John S wrote: On my third Manrose fan after two resistor burnouts. Where can I get a safe higher wattage resistor? Will drilling some holes in the circuit board box help to keep it cool?

Reply to
John S

rapidonline.com

yes. But the holes may clog with dust in time, losing the benefit.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The question is, what is there a resistor in it for in the first place? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff