Over £2.2bn spent on DIY tools that aren't used

Congratulations. You are the first electrician to recognise that spirit levels exist....

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

This must get some of them scratching their heads/arses ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

With most hand tools, if I use it once its paid for itself.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

That's the type that gives a different reading if you turn it round?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Same with some power tools. I bought a 9" Grinder from Lidl for less than the hire cost. Nice piece of kit too, with soft start. Of course it's quite a large thing to store if you don't use it much. However, no chance of that on here...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's the one. You get to double the chances of "getting" it level.

BTW how easy is it to park around the SW8 1JT area?

Reply to
ARW

Have you tried

Owain

is easier to use the train.

BTW I do believe I have access to a parking permit. And the good news is that I am stopping in a pub overnight. Probably on the floor with 5 to a room but who cares? I won't care as I will be pissed.

Reply to
ARW

That's near The Oval? Most of inner London has resident and or paid for parking. The resident of where you're working should be able to supply a pass for you - although it's not free. Or you can apply for one yourself as a trade person. That's how it works round here in Wandsworth. As regards ease of parking in a particular street, dunno, as it varies so much. Google earth may give you a clue as to how heavily parked that street is. You can also of course ask for a suspended bay outside where you're going to work. Costs even more. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Best electrician's level I have is an iPhone. The clinometer is incredibly accurate.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I got one of those. It paid for itself when cutting through the first floor vaulted roof to make access for a new staircase. The builder wanted £8000 for the job. Total cost including purchase of tools and an oak staircase was £2000 and a weekend. Even if I include my daily rate I'm ahead by a large amount.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I think I've got them all in my garage. My wife is certain that I have them all in my garage.

Reply to
Steve Firth

How does it do being chucked in the toolbox several times a day? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Or at an apprentice?

Reply to
ARW

I got a circular saw to use while building a trough for son's greenhouse I have never used it again (not lack of knowledge just lack of need) luckily it wasn't a expensive one it was an Argos special (was actually cheaper to buy this than hire one) I would have liked to borrow one for this one off time of use.

Reply to
soup

Snag is lots want to borrow but few lend.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Another snag is finding one locally. A significant part of the cost was travel to/from (twice) a hire center,(I live in a small village[Balerno] officially in Edinburgh but I would say it is more a commuter town for Edinburgh).

soup

Funny that, I regard a level as a precision instrument, and would never chuck it. Not even at an apprentice...

... and its use is limited, because I usually want parallel to the nearest edge, not vertical or horizontal!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

And thems that borrow don't look after/clean the equipment either or return it late.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

True. To at least some, borrow means to keep. If you don't ask for it back, you didn't actually need it so must be deprived of it permanently. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)