Oven shelf cleaning bags

Saw an ad on TV recently showing large plastic bags into which you could place oven shelves & a chemical to clean them.

Can't recall any other details & now SWMBO wants some.

Anyone know what they are called?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Useless. At least thats what I called them

Reply to
Alang

We have a box in the cupboard named "Oven Pride" this has a bag and the solution and seems to work!

Toby

Why do I keep getting this with tinyurl.com? Everything else is working normally.....

Connection Interrupted The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Some servers consider TinyURL to be spam as it pops up too often hth

Reply to
Vass

Oven Pride, it's an orange box. Works fantastic.

Reply to
Slider

Ah, thanks. Just found the entry in Zone Alarm. So many things making decisions on my behalf....

Reply to
Stuart Noble

There are a few. One is Johnsons Pride (or Oven Pride). A plastic bag with a bottle of under 5% Potassium Hydroxide (or 3-7% Sodium Hydroxide - there are two formulations) and a thickening agent.

Another is HomePride Oven Pride which contains Sodium Hydroxide (less than 12%) , Alkyl Imidazoline Betaine and EDTA Na4 (latter both about 1%).

You can make your own using a solution of Sodium Hydroxide (Caustic Soda) or 880 Ammonia if you are adventurous. Paint caustic liquid over shelf, stick in bag and leave a few hours. If using 880 Ammonia put a tablespoon full on a rag and place rag and shelf in bag for 24 hours. The fumes from 880 Ammonia are _very_ strong so do this outside.

Reply to
Peter Parry

It's probably Sodium Hydroxide (Caustic Soda), possibly with addition of some surfacants (detergents), perfumes, colours, thickeners, profit margins, etc.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Get a plastic storage bin big enough to lay the shelves flat, and cover with 10% caustic soda in hot water (add the caustic to the water gradually of course). Leave overnight. Use a nylon washing up brush if necessary. Always worked for me.

The other alkali options mentioned aren't really that practical. Potassium hydroxide isn't easy to get hold of and doesn't do anything the sodium doesn't. Ammonia, even the household strength, is just impossible to work with although I suppose, if the bin lid was airtight, it might be an option. Can't see the benefit over caustic soda though.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

If you're tight like me you just stick them in a taped-up black bin bag in the garden overnight with a slug of household ammonia from the pound shop. The ammonia fumes do something-or-other, and by the next morning the gunk wipes off with a sponge. The =A31 bottle will last you years.

Reply to
martin_pentreath

Hmm, does used cat litter work too? ;)

Reply to
Jules

Convert the fatty acids to water soluble soaps

and by the next

I suppose that could work in the cooker itself if you could locate all the gaps to seal. Unlike the caustic soda based cleaners, you wouldn't have to worry about chemical residues being left in the oven.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

The ammonia is rather corrosive to some materials, and might damage other bits of the oven, particularly with repeated use.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

It's more about what it doesn't do that the sodium hydroxide would. Potassium hydroxide can be used for cleaning metals like aluminium (rinse well afterwards though!) where sodium hydroxide would attack the metal immediately. Many of the mountain bike cleaner sprays are based on potassium hydroxide - not great with eyeletted Mavic rims though.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

So you prefer Vegemite to Marmite then?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I imagine all cookers are built to withstand oven cleaners these days, inside and out. Would ammonia be any different to the other strong alkalis?

Reply to
Stuart Noble

It works very well and (even with 880 Ammonia) you don't need to seal the gaps, just put a cup about half full with it in the oven and leave

24 hours. After the rather exciting performance of decanting it and putting it in the oven no noticeable fumes escape.
Reply to
Peter Parry

You obviously don't clean the oven or grille shelves. They're brilliant.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I use caustic soda in a bath. 1.75 for a carton that lasts 2 years

Reply to
Alang