oven lamps (again!)

I remember last time my oven lamp blew, trying to unscrew the glass globe by hand, with a cloth, with rubber gloves, with a strap wrench, before ending-up paying for the overpriced bosch "key" and then it unscrewed straight away.

It's lamp replacement time again, eventually I've loosened it to the point it will rock back and forth by a few degrees, but still refuses to actually open, who the f*ck designed this thing? Some strapping German lad who cracks brazil nuts with his fingers, no doubt ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Some accountant who would rather you bought a whole new oven..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's actually quite a challenging environment, oils and greases migrate everywhere and eventually oxidise and polymerise into "lacquers" that adhere very well to surfaces as well as filling up the clearances.

Reply to
newshound

Fit the lamp remotely and use a mirror or two?

Wondering what might release it, don't fancy squirting WD40 around in the oven, spray some sunflower oil maybe?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I foud the Bosch 'tool' worked very well. Unfortunately the other overn needs a different one...

Reply to
Bob Eager

I do have the tool ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Does the glass have an internal or external thread? If external, I wondered if it might turn easier if the oven is hot as the metal would expand more than the glass. If internal, it's difficult; perhaps heat the oven then cool the metal with a wet cloth, trying to keep it away from the glass to avoid cracking it.

FWIW, our AEG has glass with an external thread, but I pre-empted the issue as I've been caught before with unremovable glass. I undid the glass a quarter turn before using the ovens! :-)

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Tried an 8" bar in the slot of the tool for more leverage, but it just cams off the splines of the glass.

The thread is external, one appliance spares website does suggest warming oven, tool is nylon so shouldn't melt, failing that the suggestion from another spares website is smash the glass and replace it!

Reply to
Andy Burns

Have you turned off the mains supply to the oven? I think there might be an interlck.

Reply to
charles

Nothing that sophisticated, I've had the cover off before.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Could you grip it with one of those silicone oven gloves? It should give good grip without you getting burnt.

I think that's called "having a vested interest"!

Reply to
Jeff Layman

I've got a silicone "beak" but the glass cover it pretty tight into a corner and big hands don't really get close, certainly not in behind it.

I've put the door back on (the springs are nasty pieces of work that will have your fingers off) and warming it up, don't hold much hope TBH.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Some oils set like varnish - test first!

I used some Molyslip high temperature copper grease, but haven't had need to remove the cover again.

Reply to
PeterC

thing is my over isn't greasy at all, it more or less only ever bakes bread

I have some food-safe grease from the coffee machine, if I ever get it open, I'll try that.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes, but that in itself might set. I had some bearings on a bike where the supplied lube was a vegetable oil. Seemed to do the job, but any that ran out was a devil to remove if left too long (my idea of cleaning a bike was to ride it over a cattle grid whilst barely touching the saddle and with a loose grip on the bars. Any bits that didn't fall off didn't matter).

It's OK if it'll withstand the temperature.

Reply to
PeterC

I think all veg oils do, definitely don't use sunflower.

Reply to
Animal

OK, I'll squirt it with some HG caustic foamy stuff, pretty sure the glass threads pressed into steel, not aluminium ...

Reply to
Andy Burns