OTish. Why does my heart sink....

When the customer says "we have all the materials"....
Especially when they have asked for advice in a BORG.

Because you know they've "had a go myself" and you're going to have to quote them 1 hour to do the job and 9 hours to put right what they've broken?? Plus another trip to Wickes to get the *right* materials....
On 19/10/2013 10:53, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

A friend of mine often sees this and finds that the chinese made item that they have purchased in an up-market shop for hundreds is complete shite and he could have supplied a quality item for a quarter of the price (including his mark-up)
--
mailto:newsadmac(dot}myzencouk

On 19/10/13 20:15, alan wrote:

Guess why British brands are selling like hot cakes, in China.
--
Ineptocracy

The Chinese are also buying up British brand names that were once considered to be a badge of quality.
--
mailto:newsadmac(dot}myzencouk

Buying British brand names has been going on for years, long before the Chinese got involved.
--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Because you can't buy them at trade rates and charge the customer at list price?
Colin Bignell
Nightjar wrote:

Yes exactly. That's why this happens: "I've been to Wickes and bought the aerial and a booster and all the other bits. How much will you charge to come and fix it on the roof?" "How much did you spend at Wickes?" "About a hundred and twenty quid." "OK. Well take it all back and get your money back, and give it to us, and we'll supply and install a far better aerial, one that's actually the correct type for the location, with a stronger fixing and a far better amp, for just £30 more. Alternatively, we'll install what you've got for £100 but there will be no warranties whatsoever from us on the materials and the reception will not be our responsibility."
Bill
On 19/10/2013 16:49, Bill Wright wrote:

IOW the trade discounts are where your profit come from, which was my point.
Colin Bignell
Nightjar wrote:

Yes. So giving the profit on the parts to Wickes instead of using it to subsidise the install is plain daft.
Bill

I don't think it's always cut-and-dried. If you want something done that's a little unusual, it could be difficult and expensive to find someone who will do it.
I would really like to see coax clipped in some way to tenement buildings, especially at the roof edges, but no one does that. Too difficult when they're three or four stories high and each flat has traditional high ceilings. So the cables just swing in the wind. (Not that I know how one could do better. I'd imagine cherry pickers cost too much.)
I'm hugely impressed by the skill of some tradesmen, and totally underwhelmed by others. I'm no kind of a craftsman, I'm as slow as all hell, but I'm better than some of them.
Recently I was happy to pay someone to lay carpet for me. But if I hadn't first moved the furniture, removed the old carpet, screwed down a loose floorboard, and put down some new springy underlay, I would have been charged quite a bit more and very likely nothing would have been done about the floorboard. (Which was loose because some tradesman in the past had installed a ring main, without proper cable protection above the notched joists. I was going to nail, but luckily I looked before nailing.)
As a matter of curiosity, do you pay a plumber his normal rates when you need to have minor plumbing work done?
--
Windmill, snipped-for-privacy@NoneHome.com Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ S c o t s h o m e . c o m
On 21/10/2013 07:10, Windmill wrote:

IME plumbers simply aren't interested in minor plumbing work. Which is where I come in.

On 19/10/2013 11:12, Nightjar wrote:

Not at all. If they buy the wrong stuff & I have to get the right stuff, I get a mark up & get paid for the time spent getting it.

On Sat, 19 Oct 2013 09:45:28 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

O.K. - what is a BORG in this context?
Possibly guess that O=online and G=group but...
Cheers
Dave R
David.WE.Roberts wrote:

A collective. eg a newgroup or forum.
--
Adam

On 19/10/2013 11:41, David.WE.Roberts wrote:

Big Orange Retail Giant.
"In newsgroup rec.woodworking and several Internet forums for woodworking hobbyist (i.e. www.sawmillcreek.org) the term BORG can be found as an acronym for Big Orange Retail Giant. This is a derogatory term for large retail home improvement stores. One large chain of retail home improvement stores uses the color orange for its corporate image. The term BORG is applied to all large retail home improvement stores in its usage on the above Internet locations. The Star Trek cross-reference to BORG is related to the demise of local hardware stores that supplied woodworking hobbyist due to what appeared to be mindless and ruthless business practices of the big retail home improvement stores".

Because you are a cynic due to prior experience of such assurances. Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"The Medway Handyman" < snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
The Medway Handyman wrote:

What's the problem with that? You just do the job with those materials without any warranty [1] on them and charge them extra (cost plus and travelling) when/if you have to change the materials to suit the job.
BTW, what's the difference between you assembling customer supplied flat-pack furniture and using any materials supplied by them? The same priciple applies to both scenarios as you may or may not get all of the bits, or even the correct bits in the flat-pack - and you never wrote those immortal words "Why does my heart sink...." in this group then.

"[they] have asked for advice" - Erm, isn't that a little hypocritical of you, as that's precisely what you do here and at other places for the most basic of tasks?
BORG - WTF is a "BORG" BTW?
[1] You only offer a warranty then for defective workmanship - simples!
On 19/10/2013 18:05, Unbeliever wrote:

He becomes thicker every day.
The problem is, the customers are likely to get the wrong stuff.

He becomes thicker every day.

On Sun, 20 Oct 2013 11:14:49 +0100, The Medway Handyman
Usually, cheaper, nastier stuff that doesn't fit right or takes an age to fiddle around getting pipes to seal or bracketsin the wrong places, etc.