Other peoples views

I'll repeat the same question that caused a massive argument earlier at work.

The question was about mains powered interlinked smoke alarms with battery back up (a bog standard PP9 battery).

The question I asked was "Did you connect the batteries to the alarms when you second fixed them?"

Now the the question I am asking is "does anyone else understand the first question I asked?"

Reply to
ARW

Perhaps if you had phrased it "Did you put the batteries in the alarms?"?

Reply to
Bert Coules

... but did they get connected so as to power the alrams?

Avpx

Reply to
The Nomad

I have to admit, I'm having trouble with that usage of the word 'second'.

Reply to
Max Quad

That was later in the argument.

The batteries in most alarms are already supplied in the alarm (an usually already inside the battery compartment). You just need to connect the battery to the alarm.

Reply to
ARW

I take it this apprentice isn't being fast-tracked onto the binary switch addressing installations, then?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Yes, I do. Or perhaps I only think I do, and I don't really? How could I tell?

We are just having some alarms put up in some flats that are being converted. I would expect the builders to ensure that the alarms are fully working with backup batteries installed by the time the flats are handed over.

Second fix seems a good time to do it, UNLESS there's work going on in the flats that's going to set them off all the time. That would be a right PITA for your co-workers.

I would be concerned that the power to the alarms needs to be turned on soon after the batteries are connected, so as to avoid those being drained.

What have I missed?

Reply to
GB

Please tell me that you are a teacher.

Reply to
ARW

Fine. I'm a teacher.

I get the impression that I would have more patience with your apprentices than you.

Can I ask you a question, now? We always hear from you when you have the need to sound off about things going wrong. Do you ever praise your apprentice when they do something well? It must be pretty dispiriting for them if you only ever carp on at them about their mistakes.

Reply to
GB

My answer would be "That's a bloody big smoke alarm - if it needs a PP9 battery!"

Reply to
Bob Eager

Second fixing is a confusing term Adam. Final fixing perhaps? However, I would expect the batteries to be connected. I have seen flats that have been occupied for 12 months with the dust covers still over the detectors. A spark installed the system and of course tested the system on the hand over. The alarm engineer I was with did not know the code for the panel and rang the spark who installed the system. Enter the spark, red faced and blustering. He knew the code - bravo. Alarm tested. It did NOT work as the detectors had been wired up incorrectly. Enter the owner of the flats. Exit Mr Pounder.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

'Second fixing' is a well established and understood expression in the building trade. Not at all confusing if you are working in that arena.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

What age group?

Reply to
ARW

Perhaps it provides backup for the entire system :-)

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Yes.

HTH

Reply to
Lobster

I'm not working in the building trade anymore. Your explanation of "second fixing" has been very useful. Thanks.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Does it matter? He wears nice clothes to go to work and comes home with clean hands. Whereas you don't.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

PP3 9V. I have never claimed to be perfect.

Reply to
ARW

Umm, Adam, I'm not actually a teacher. I was just doing what you asked.

Reply to
GB