step & repeat process??

Folks -

The Wif wants a CD tower, and rather than inserting shelves, I want to cut dadoes into the carcass sides to slip the jewel cases into. For doubles and odd thickness cases, I'll cut some dadoes to fit as well. Would any of you care to comment on a good step & repeat strategy for quickly and accurately cutting the single CD case width dadoes? I figure I'll do the sides out of some ply I have, and rip it in half for each side piece. I was thinking of some arrangement like a pin would serve in a box joint jig....

Cheers,

John Moorhead

Reply to
John Moorhead

Sounds about right. I'd attach something on the front of the miter or on a panel cutting sled.I have a wire rack that has 1/2" openings and 1/8" wire

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

thinking of

Reply to
pat

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 03:38:57 GMT, "John Moorhead" calmly ranted:

Good idea. Concept: Use a dowel to mark the initial dado distance from the end of the board and a removable square board in a dado to space the rest of the cuts.

Mount a sacrificial fence on the miter gauge. Run it over the router bit you'll use for the dadoes. (d) Remove the board and mark for the CD spacing. (s) Cut a deeper dado there for a removable L-shaped board. Hold the board against the miter gauge and cut that dado. Measure the distance for the bottom dado and drill a hole in the fence for a removable dowel to set that initial cut. (O) Lay the boards you with to dado on the table up against the dowel to cut the first dadoes in each one.

Once you've marked and cut the first dado, remove the dowel and insert the spacer dado board. Subsequent cuts will be offset by that much when you sit the freshly cut dado on the stick. The sacrificial fence is a backer board which keeps the dado from blowing out as you finish each cut.

Side view of fence: VV VV space between dadoes s d d original dado for clearance ----------------------- --__----- s dado for spaced dadoes | O __ | O dowel for initial dado | o o | o mtg holes to miter gauge -----------------------------------

Happy New Year!

-- Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|-

Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites

Reply to
Larry Jaques