OT - YOLO it :-) aka new words.

Following on from the other English thread, I rather like the way the kids come up with new words.

My favourite at the moment from my 10 yo daughter and some of her friends is the use of 'yolo' as a verb, as in 'I'm going to yolo it' as in 'I'm going for it' type of thing.

YOLO being an acronym for You Only Live Once

I like the way that it grew from an acronym she used in online games, to a verb she used online, and now it's crept out into the real world. Though I haven't started to use it yet :-)

Reply to
Chris French

Language evolution is fascinating.

SWMBO was recently grumbling that people have started *saying* "LOL" as well as using it in written (text/email) form.

So my question to her, was "what did we have to express that sentiment previously ?"

Which is what drives change. I can't think of a succinct way to say "LOL". Or (another of her bugbears) "Meh". So they enter the pantheon of English.

It's like "Schadenfreude" (sp?). As far as I am concerned that is now an

*English* word (makes no difference where it started life - like most of the "English" language). Most people know what it means - and there is no corresponding existing word.

One of the reasons English is the closest we have to a universal language is (1) it's infrastructure is cobbled together and (2) it's easy to make sense with very bad English.

Given I have French people totally unable to understand Quebecois (they had to converse in English) - the fact that USAians, Brits, Kiwis, Ozzies and Canucks are able debate philosophy is all the more remarkable.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

"Schadenfreude" is German. Along with "Angst"

It goes the other way too. Eg A mobile phone is a "Handy" in Germany.

Reply to
harryagain

It's English now ;)

er ... that too !

Or a "cellphone" stateside ....

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I think it was called "laughter".

;-)

(Although I have always favoured "Ha!" which works both writted and spokened.)

Reply to
Scott M

That was in the old days when everything was analogue.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet