OT: Yanny or Laurel?

Hi all,
Saw this on the TV yesterday and it seems of the 4 of us in the room at the time, I (62) was the only one who heard 'Laurel' and only 'Laurel'.
<https://www.theguardian.com/global/video/2018/may/16/what-do-you-hear-in-this-audio-clip-yanny-or-laurel-takes-internet-by-storm-video <https://preview.tinyurl.com/ydb6tnwh
Daughter and friend (Late 20's) suggested they could hear a blend of both whereas the Mrs (68) could only hear Yanny?
I understand both words are being voiced simultaneously and with the 'Yanny' at the higher pitch but my high pitch hearing is still reasonable (or so I thought), in spite of my Tinnitus but how come I couldn't hear any of the Yanny? If one tends to lose the high frequencies as we get older, how come the Mrs can only hear 'Yanny'?
Cheers, T i m

Yanny hear;)...
--
Tony Sayer

<snip> >Yanny hear;)...
Thanks Tony. As I can't hear it (Yanny) at all how high pitched is it OOI? Can you (also) hear any sign of the Laurel?
Cheers, T i m
p.s. This is the direct link to the Youtube vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue
&v=7X_WvGAhMlQ

No still Yanny but decent amp and speakers here in this room course you can an frig around with extreme EQ and make it different;!...
--
Tony Sayer

tony sayer explained on 17/05/2018 :

I heard Yonny first time around then when I knew what it was supposed to be, Yanny. I listened a few times, but never heard Laurel at all. I sometimes suffer slight tinnitus
On 17/05/2018 11:43, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I only hear Laurel but if I concentrate it,s more like Yaurel
Hearing probably damaged by attending rock concerts and drag race meetings without ear protection in my younger days.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

We both only heard Laurel, our total age is 148
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Martin wrote on 17/05/2018 :

This link includes an audio filter, so you can filter the high frequencies or the low ones out. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/05/16/upshot/audio-clip-yanny-laurel-debate.html
Those hearing lanny suggests their hearing has fairly good, and undamaged. Those only able to hear laurel, suggests their high frequency hearing is not so good.
For my age and using my own tests, I know my high frequency hearing fairly good - despite a life in industry and often riding motorbikes. I blame both for my tinitus.

Or from the North East Yanny = Have you any.

--
bert

Irrespective of the high-frequency effects on the consonant sounds y and l, I don't understand how people are hearing different *vowel* sounds. I could understand it more if it was laurel (with an O vowel) versus yonny, or larral (with an A vowel) versus yanny.
For the record, I very strongly hear laurel, without even a hint of yanny.
I wonder if we will eventually hear what the speaker *actually* intended to say, like we saw what colour "the dress" was actually. I'd like to hear the same voice say laurel, and then yanny, to determine whether I could detect any difference.
The dress was a very unfair test, because we were being asked to judge what we saw. The people who interpreted the dress as different colours to those that were reproduced in the photo were somehow making mental correction based on prior knowledge of what colour the dress *should* have been and what lighting it had been photographed under (which was different to the light setting on the camera). I don't think it is valid to expect any prior knowledge or compensation and we can only judge as we see, in isolation, as certain RGB combinations. Unless you have something that is *known* to be white, we can't apply any correction. The light part of the dress *was* supposed to be white, rather than the pale blue in the photo, but without prior knowledge of the dress, you can't assume that is the case, in order to correct for it.
I wonder if the people who hear yanny are applying a similar sort of correction.
<snip> >> I understand both words are being voiced simultaneously and with the

It is weird. As I said, I've *only* heard Laurel so far, no matter how the audio has been manipulated whereas the Mrs, heard alternating words as a particular frequency slot was toggled max / min.

Yup, exactly the same here (weird isn't it)?

I am quite good at those things ... 'magic eye' and other visual effects and tests and also good on those close up image quiz things where they slowly zoom out. I can generally do similar when hearing 'noises' (work out if it was a car being hit in the road outside or a bin being blown over etc) but in this case, it's Laurel no matter how much I try to make it be Yanny.

I'm not sure what that would demonstrate, unless it was the voice that we can't (currently) hear just saying both?

I'm not sure that was the case those was it as like this audio test it was stated what the two words that were being voiced were, after they were first voiced?

Agreed.

Ok.

Some aren't as the Mrs can (apparently) hear each word accurately and repeatedly as the guy plays with the right frequency.

https://youtu.be/TYR8tsfnQsQ?t58

https://youtu.be/TYR8tsfnQsQ?t58

Cheers, T i m

Don't hear any words with that start point, just high pitched squeeks.
On 17/05/2018 20:35, Rod Speed wrote:

It's supposed to be "laurel" (assuming the clips we hear are derived/copied from the original): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yanny_or_Laurel#History "The audio clip originated from a 2007 recording of the word "Laurel" from Vocabulary.com."

I hear "laurel" repeatedly until the end, when I hear "hairy".
--
Max Demian

On 17/05/2018 10:48, T i m wrote:

This supposedly lets you hear both with a slider: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/05/16/upshot/audio-clip-yanny-laurel-debate.html
I hear "laurel" usually: with the slider at the extreme right I hear "yelly": never "yanny".
No-one has suggested one reason could be that "laurel" is a /real/ word, whereas "yanny" is a Greek form of "John", usually spelt "Yannis" or, sometimes, "Yanni". IOW a word not familiar to many.
--
Max Demian

On 17/05/2018 11:33, Max Demian wrote:

+1

Allowing for distortion and for an American accent, I normally hear "lawrel" (with a slightly extended first vowel, as distinct from the much shorter O vowel that I would say). With the slider at position 9 from the left (where 6 is mid-way) I start to hear a hint of "yearly" with a slightly shorter vowel that I would say - almost "yelly". I certainly don't hear a short A vowel and an N consonant: It's definitely "yelly/yearly" rather than "yanny".
There is a *lot* of hysteresis in the slider control of https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/05/16/upshot/audio-clip-yanny-laurel-debate.html which does not help. Moving from left to right, I have to move to position 9 to start hearing "yearly", but then I have to move the control back to about 7 before I start to hear "laurel" again.
NY formulated on Thursday :

That seems a very odd effect. I heard Yanny all the way to the left, except for the full left position. Moving it to the right, from the extreme left, I heard Laurel from the first three settings on the left on the forth from the left it switched back to Yanny. Weird!
<snip> >There is a *lot* of hysteresis in the slider control of

Nope, still Laurel all the way for me. ;-(
Cheers, T i m
On 18/05/2018 11:10, T i m wrote:

How about on this version with pitch shifting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDiXQl7grPQ

--
Cheers,

John.
On 18/05/2018 14:17, John Rumm wrote:

Still "yelly" when the bloke says we should hear yanny.
Anyway, the original recording *was* laurel, so all the yannys just have cloth ears. Or are Greek.
--
Max Demian