They never were priestesses.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Control yourself man!

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I get that. If someone just likes going out_and_about and doing stuff then it often doesn't matter (with reason) what it is, just that you / they are doing it / something.

My Mum is a bit like that (especially now she's on her own), she seems happy to join me / us on whatever we are doing, even if it's not particularly of direct interest to her. ;-)

Result. ;-)

We spent a couple of nights away recently and were glad to get home to our own bed and reasonable (cool) temperatures. We also appreciate how quiet our actual house is where you can't hear everything anyone is doing elsewhere in the house ... or floorboards creaking or the CH clicking and clanking ...

That line canes my Tinnitus. ;-(

That does sound pretty handy. Funny isn't it, we aren't very far from the centre of the capital City of the UK but have no real desire to visit it or see it's sights. Never been up the Shard or on the London Eye (if that's what it's still called) because neither really interests us. Even if we could be instantly transported there and it was free, I'm still not sure we would bother.

;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Yes, and variations like "high priestess" have mystic connotations for good measure.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

...unless you're in a bar in Thailand, where it's customary to stick your hand up and have a good feel around for any unwanted spurious organs before taking the 'relationship' to the next stage.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Mostly I go into St Pancras, but that would have been silly this time!

Reply to
Bob Eager

I'm also confused as to why someone who has no belief in Christmas chooses to celebrate it by the exchange of gifts. Surely a true non- believer would say that they had no intention of giving gifts and that any that were received would be returned as the celebration of an event they had no belief it should not be celebrated.

Reply to
Mark Allread

Are they ce;lebrating Christmas?

Or just finding an excuse for some midiwinter cheer and some generosity?

Surely a true non-

Pagans celebrate Yule with gifts too.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Quite, other than habit or because they are happy to go along with the commercialization of Xmyth.

Exactly.

Strange innit?

It's my belief that for many they are reacting no differently to worker ants. They do what they do because they do what they do. They don't actually *think* why they do what they do and if it's actually relevant to them and the time.

People were doing all sorts of things to each other (like ducking 'witches') till someone questioned the validity of it all. I have no issue with people giving each other presents (as long as they are wanted / used and not wasted, we have too much waste in this world already) and at any time of the year, not 'getting together' but not in the name of something they don't believe in.

But maybe when people say 'Happy Christmas', it's no more *meant* (as in a Christian celebration) than people (strangers) asking you if you are 'Ok'. I mean, how would most people react if you said 'I'm not very well actually and thinking of topping myself ...'. ;-(

Do those of us who aren't religious who 'do Xmyth' also celebrate every other religious event and if not why not?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Most other religious events don't involve presents.

I have no theological objection to eating hot cross buns, easter eggs, simnel cake, or fish on Fridays.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Oh, I would have thought they all might, even gifts to the deity etc?

No, me neither (and do of course). Just in the same way I'll often do a Turkey stir-fry when it isn't Xmyth! <gasp>

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

On the other hand, if they realise that the Xtians hijacked that pagan festival, they may choose to continue with the pagan festival,

Reply to
Tim J

Boring

Reply to
Chris Green

tim...

Interesting. Sell it to me over most other 'puzzle books'?

My Mrs and an elderly neighbour (she helps / keeps an eye on) do a crossword where the clues are three words and the answer something common to them all.

Me, I'm not really a game player (other than electronic FPS etc), cards, board games, puzzles don't really appeal unless that really was all there was to do.

I prefer stuff more 3 dimensionally involving, like building a functional / RC model and again, the focus being on utility, being able to use it for something at the end (say ... RC off road buggy and taking it racing with others).

When I was a kid (12 or so) I asked for an RC boat for Xmyth and was given a plywood kit (Sea Commander) with IC engine (Marinised Enya .35) and RC also in kit form (from 'Teleradio' in Edmonton?).

It took me a year to finish the boat itself but whilst the RC gear actually worked, it had no range so I eventually bought some commercial RC gear and ran the boat on that.

I later converted it to electric and it earned quite a bit of money at my Primary School fete as a 'Have a go for 5 mins' attraction in the school swimming pool. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Recently? Just how old are you?

But it was the acting profession itself who preferred the gender neutral name. I can see why - very few professions have a different word according to gender. And then there was the implication of the word actress - bishop and actress, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

well it looked good at the time

But the more that I look at it it requires a significant amount of General Knowledge as well as logical ability to solve them

here's an (easy) one

what letter comes next:

C W G C L H A B E E J L A P S I Z M ?

I got the "hint" instantly, but don't have the faintest idea what the answer is

I've just got to accept that I'm not GCHQ fodder :-)

I mean:

Find the connection between

a) a NY Indie Band b) etc

How can you solve the logic if you haven't a clue on the General Knowledge

tim

Reply to
tim...

Fairy muff. ;-)

If you use the likes of Mastermind as a guide, we (mainly daughter and I) do reasonably well on the general knowledge section but much much less so on the specialty section, except if it itself contains stuff that could also be general knowledge (depending how wide your general is).

I neither got any clues nor the interest to look any closer . Now, if I were trapped in a room and had to answer the puzzle to get out then I might be bothered but otherwise ... ;-(

I'm more interested in my own / r/w puzzles. Like, it looks like we just became joint dog owners (daughters stray / rescue) and he weighs about 10kg.

The food he seems to like suggests: up to 5kg dog, 100g (of food per day)

5-12kg, 150g 12-25, 300g 25-45, 450g 'Giant (over 45kg), 600g?

So, assuming that there is a direct / linear relationship between a dogs weight and their daily food intake weight then for a 5kg dog would get the same food as one over twice it's weight?

If you took the mean (is it?) between 5 and 12 of 8.5 and divide that into 150g of food then that means you would give ~18g of food per kg of dog? So a 5kg should only get 90g of food and a 12kg dog, 216g?

So, if you were to take all those values and convert them into a formula, should it be able to allow you to come up with a g of food per kg of dog that would be more 'sensible'? The only way I could resolve it would be to take the mean of each range and plot a graph against the suggested allowance and then read it off that (assuming it ends up a straight line)?

Again, 'nope'.

Quite ... and why they probably aren't just logic questions.

I've seen some sort of test (kids homework possibly) that showed a picture of 4 or so cyclists going round a corner and each was leaning to some degree or another. I think one was leaning at the 'right angle' and so was the right answer. If it was 'real world' observation it was probably obvious to me but not of you didn't understand GoG or inertia etc?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

If someone gives you a std for Christmas I would not call it a good present.

Reply to
ARW