Asparagus season is here again

Spargelzeit!

Reply to
rbowman

Asparagus season usually last for around four months before it stops producing, and I get tired of eating it almost every day.

It's easy to grow. If you do plant some I recommend ordering from an online grower. That;s what I did the first time and it's grown really well. Over the years I tried buying some Walmart aspargus of different varieties, its been dried out, most hasn't grown.

When I planted mine the ground was to hard to dig, and I didn't have a roto tiller, so I put the crowns on the ground and covered them with about four inches of potting soil, watered them every day. It wasn't long before the rooted and grew. After about three years it was ready to harvest.

It's recommended to NOT cut them if they are 1/8 inch or smaller. I leave a lot that are 1/4 inch to make sure they thrive. If you want to give your pee a nice fresh smell, eat lots of Asparagus.

Reply to
Windows ME

rmany/

That was interesting. I've never peeled, or seen it peeled.

I put it in a casserole dish, put a little vegeatable oil on it, add a little salt, cover, and cook in microwave for eight minutes an high.

Reply to
Windows ME

Yeah, peeling sounds like a waste of time. I hold the spears and snap them. The part that breaks off is stringy if you cook it. Maybe peeling would save that portion, like peeling the large stems on broccoli.

I steam it and skip the hollandaise sauce and other stuff people put on it. Maybe a little butter if I have it.

Reply to
rbowman

I drizzle it with olive oil, salt it, and grill it. We like it cooked using dry heat much better than any other method.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

And grate a little Parm on it when plated.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski