Big Bamboo

This stand of Bamboo was planted eight years ago. Last year it doubled in size. This year the bamboo are already jumping out of the ground. BIG BAMBOO shoots are coming up. These shoots weren't there last night and now they've already grown over a foot tall. I've been watching and waiting. They make a pretty good privacy screen. It increases property value to have trees, schrubs, and other plants, especially out here in the desert.
I plan to have a forest by the time I'm done.

You planed the wrong kind of bamboo unless you are planning on shooting a remake of Tarzan. The many types of bamboo fall into two broad categories. The walking kind and the clumping kind. It sounds like you have the walking kind and it will take over your yard. Right up the river from me Thomas Edison was paying the Koreshans to grow various strains (for the light bulb experiments) and we still have good examples of several types. When I stole some shoots for my yard, I was careful to get the clumping kind. They can't control the walking stuff that is still popping up everywhere on the site.

in

BAMBOO

they've

Japanese Timber Bamboo is what mine is. It's the running kind. It's 100 feet from the house so there's plenty of room for it to grow. It's supposed to be able to get six inches around, and 60 feet tall. Right now the biggest diameter is about 1/4 inch. The BIG SHOOTS will open up and won't be as big as they are now, but every year the shoots get bigger. None of it is over six foot tall yet.

The bamboo is in Estero at the Koreshan site. There are also a few patches along the river but they are the clumping variety. I am guessing someone transplanted them. I got mine from what is now the West Bay Club.

Around here the municipalities are banning it because it becomes so invasive. I don't know how to get rid of it but find out and then do it. NOW.
On 4/21/2017 3:36 PM, Tekkie� wrote:

You have to saw/chop/cut the bamboo off at the ground and then mow the area whenever the new shoots are 3" high. Eventually it will stop growing back.
On Thursday, April 20, 2017 at 4:25:22 PM UTC-4, Windows ME wrote:

Oh...wow...man. I thought you were talking about Big Bambu.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)