cleaning bamboo

I have a couple of old bamboo type fishing creels that I am restoring. I am replacing the leather on them. What I am concerning with is how to clean the bamboo. As I said, these are old and I do not want to damage the bamboo by using the wrong method of cleaning. Any suggestions would be appreciated. It is mostly cleaning years of dirt and grime off the bamboo.

Reply to
PHT

I'm not familiar with those creels, however I am familiar with caned chairs= .

Unless someone, here, knows for sure....

A gentle washing with a soft brush, mild soapy water and rinse well shouldn= 't bother the bamboo. I would suppose it gets wet when fishing, anyway. T= he water may soften the bamboo, as it does with caning. If it softens too = much, you might want to stuff the creel with bundled news print to maintain= the form/shape of the creel, while drying.

Caned chairs are finished with shellac, usually. Maybe test a small area w= ith a more water resistant finish, should you decide to put a finish on the= creel. I have no idea if creels would have a finish on them, or not.

I use Frank's Cane and Rush Supply for my supplies -

inquire of them or a supplier near you, for expert advice specific fo= r bamboo. A good sporting goods outlet may know, also.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny