OT: Xmyth presents?

So,

Silly season is on the ebb and I wondered if anyone here actually got a good Xmyth present?

I'll need to define my 'good' further:

It needed to be a complete surprise. No previous hints, not another bottle of what you liked last year, not another addition for your existing collection etc. An exception to that (here) could be a wanted power tool of the same series as your existing (so it could share batteries etc). However, you still need to have needed it (rather than fancied it) and be likely to use it (if you haven't already).

I'm also not including std / useful stuff, like socks or underwear, especially lingerie for your partner ... as the chances are is that it was actually for you. ;-)

And I don't really mean something that was particularly expensive, like a new car, but 'a car' from (say) your parents to get you through your test or because you recently passed but couldn't afford a car might be, but again, it had to be 'surprise keys in xmyth paper' moment.

So, did anyone get anything that fits my criteria above?

Cheers, T i m

p.s. Luckily the only presents I got this year was from our daughter, a hexagon of Toblerones (that I guessed though the packaging, much to her frustration (a previous year she'd made a dummy Toblerone that I guessed wasn't one because the inertia was wrong <weg>)), a ball-point pen that has 'Sh1t Christmas Gift' on it (was cheap, funny and can be used) and a Haynes manual for the RAF Chinook (she couldn't get me a ride in one so this is a next best thing). Not sure if I'll ever read it as I'm not really a reader and typically only refer to workshop manuals when I'm fixing stuff. ;-)

I'd just previously given her a 10,000mA USB battery / phone charger but mostly in the hope she doesn't keep 'borrowing' mine.

Reply to
T i m

In message snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, T i m snipped-for-privacy@spaced.me.uk> writes

None that meet your criteria. My family know that I don't give presents other than the IHT free gift money.

Nevertheless books and the obligatory chocolate orange are welcomed as Xmas coincides with a birthday.

This years crop included Hello World, Hannah Fry ( no affiliation) which has allowed me a self congratulatory pat for avoiding FB and Twitter etc. Google is hard to avoid totally but I try:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Well, I got a DVD player for the telly which is sort-of useful as I don't have one already -- only ever used the computer to watch DVDs.

And a nice book of railway stories.

And the usual selection of comestibles which are always welcome.

Of course the best presents aren't surprises because they're the ones I bought myself - that's how I get exactly what I want!

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

As you have made it quite clear in the past you don?t really think this period is something you enjoy or wish to partake in why are you wanting to know?

Boredom or just setting up a thread where you can you expose your puritan views again and feel superior about it while looking down on those who view it differently .

GH

Reply to
Marland

My grown up kids surprised me with a (cheap and basic) drone, which I was flying this morning. Connects to a smartphone to stream 720p video, although I couldn't persuade that to work this morning (I had it going in a "dry run" indoors). Also failing to capture any stills or video either to card or phone today, must read the manual more carefully.

Astonishing technology, this is a basic model without GPS, it was difficult to trim and needed constant steering to counteract a very mild breeze in a sheltered spot.

But actually, more fun than I expected. (I have played once with an expensive model and decided I would get bored quickly).

I could just about see it being useful for inspecting chimney stacks, so legitimately DIY!

Reply to
newshound

In article snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk>, Jim K.. snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

Typical narcissist

Reply to
bert

newshound explained on 28/12/2018 :

Gatwick, is that away >>>

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

One of our kids, who is certainly no conspiricy theorist, works just off Whitehall, and is pretty well up on international affairs is convinced that it was the Russians.

Reply to
newshound

Xmyth? How puerile. It doesn't matter what your beliefs are, the event is called 'Christmas'. You can't go changing the language just to suit yourself. I suppose you also call actresses 'actors'.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Ok.;-)

Then that's good then, if they respected / understood your 'way'.

<Hehe> The Mrs always gives her sister one of those as that's what their Mum used to give them both.

That's a shame (especially when a kid)?

;-)

And it's the thought that counts. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

That would be a good example of the thought of thing I had in mind.

As above.

;-)

Inc the DVD player and book? ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Because I do?

Aww. When is your therapist back on duty? ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Excellent. That's *exactly* the sort of thing I was thinking.

Mine only records to a uSD card. ;-(

;-)

I've only flown mine indoors.

For me it was the 'need' to keep it under control that was the driver.

Hehe.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

There are a myriad of alternative names for the occasion: Yuletide, Winter solstice come to mind.

I could agree with you when Pope Julius thought he would highjack the Yule, winter solstice festival and claim it wrongly to be Jesus's birthday.

What a strange thing to say. Certainly when I use the collective noun actors I include actresses. Are you the sort to refuse to use terms like 'mankind'?

Reply to
Fredxx

What about if your beliefs aren't?

What event? The giving of good presents at this time of year (or not)?

I can't? Sorry, I didn't realise they had put you in charge of 'language' and FWIW, did you realise it wasn't the one who originally coined the word?

"xmyth. Shortened and more enlightened version of xmas, or christmas"

<weg>

I'm not sure I've ever refereed to them at all, but I'm not sure what the correct language is. Go on, you are the Language Police, you tell me. ;-)

Am I right in thinking you part of the 'eye for any eye' rather than the 'turn the other cheek' camp?

Seasons (so 'winter' here) greetings. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

No, they were all surprises from other people.

And I did get some nice thank-you emails from people who (said they) liked what I bought them, which is especially gratifying as they were almost all less than £1 from the charity shops (excluding the beer and the nipple clamps).

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Ok, cool then. ;-)

... but that's the thing isn't it. When I was a kid I was often given presents that were really cr*p (as in quality, a cheap colouring pen set when many of them didn't work or were physically broken) and I was forced to wrote them a thank you letter, thanking them for my 'lovely present'. Now, 'I get' that if they were poor and that's all they could afford and 'it's the thought that counts' ... but ITRW and past all this bogus politeness BS, I would *rather* they kept the money and gave me nothing.

Quite ... no reason why a gift couldn't be 'good' (by my criteria) and less than a pound. The 'Shit Christmas gift' ball point pen should be useable and will make me chuckle when I use it. Ironically it could be a 'Good Christmas Gift' to me (even if it wasn't marked so). ;-)

Being a d-i-yer, I make my own. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Oh and a happy non Christmas to you too! I got what I wanted cos I bought it for myself. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

That's the idea. ;-)

And that's the thing. This gift giving (in today's commercial world) often evolves as follows.

I give gift, they give similar (value / quality / style) gift in return. Both give the gift away or to the charity shop after a reasonable period.

You give vouchers, they give vouchers in return.

You give money, they give money in return.

You spend money on yourself, they do the same in return. ;-)

Sorted! ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

An excellent exercise in composition and preparation for a career in the civil service. Phrases like "I really can't decide which one I like the most" and "I hadn't expected anything like it and it came as a complete surprise" always come in useful.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog