OT: Xmyth presents?

I suppose I would include the cordless high powered LED work light then... looks like it will actually be quite useful, and even has a DIY theme!

Reply to
John Rumm

I managed to get one in Screwfix autumn sale. When I went back for another in their December sale, I was told they sold out within hours.

Reply to
charles

My great aunt was a teacher. Her "escape from gaol" when writing school reports was "Trying".

Reply to
newshound

Recently the BBC and others of that ilk have made members of the acting profession gender-neutral. So if you haven't heard someone like Joan Collins described as an actor, it won't be long before you do. Fuck knows what they're hoping to achieve by doing this, but whatever it is it'll probably backfire, just like every other daft idea does.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Absolutely.

Whilst it doesn't have to be useful (but is to you) and you do actually use it now and again, that's exactly the sort of thing I meant.

And it doesn't even have to be long-term god, just looked like it would be good for you and the sort of things you do.

I guess it was to see just how many people here had people buying them surprise presents that actually knew the sort of thing you would consider 'good'.

Many seem to offer that they would buy most of those sorts of things for themselves ... and it must be difficult trying to find such things for us. (And was the basis for your question before Xmyth).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

not too many presents meet that standard. The Jehovahs try to give that one away.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Well I think me and her have given up I can never get it right for her so took her to the jewellers and just paid for what she wanted. However She did surprise me by getting tickets for Mark Knopfler (Dire Straits) concert in Glasgow, completely surprised even more so that she new I liked his music. Been over 25 years since last at a concert so looking forward to it.

Reply to
ss

How a single missing 'o' can change the meaning of something. ;-)

No comment. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

;-)

Yup, that would be one of those good presents I was talking about. ;-)

Nice.

Daughter (28) went to see ELO and Madness recently and enjoyed them both. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

SWMBO has taken to buying me tickets for good things (sometimes with a night away if in London).

I've recently had the Piano Guys at the Albert Hall, the Carole King Musical (local), and Katie Melua (Central Hall Westminster). All excellent.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Clever. ;-).

A lot of it is nonsense though isn't it ... and I really can't allow myself to go along with it (and luckily I don't have to). And I'm not referring to the religious side of it particularly, but the 'tradition' (?) / commercial.

And when you get 'most people' to be honest with themselves, many don't enjoy much of it either.

I wonder what percentage of the precipitants *here* (being largely male) buy, write and post or deliver all the cards, choose, buy, wrap and post / deliver all the presents and buy, prepare and cook all the food for a group of visitors (not just themselves or family etc).

How many of us just do what we are asked to do and that isn't typically all the above?

How many of us likely wouldn't do any of it if we weren't asked?

FWIW, I do most of our cooking and if the Mrs wants anything gift wrapped she gets me to do it because (she knows / says) I'm much better at it than her. ;-)

I'm not saying people shouldn't get together, send cards or exchange gifts, just that (maybe) they think about it all a bit more and possibly cut back a bit? Like, maybe not sending cards to people you sit opposite at work and only buy presents for those where you have a good idea what they might genuinely appreciate. That might avoid it all being like a 'secret Santa where all of you waste £5 each buying crap people don't want for people you don't know. ;-( [1]

Cheers, T i m

[1] The above isn't just me being miserable, part of it's because I have connections with the local Council and know exactly how much waste (and what range of things it contains, much of it really should be recycled) is 'dumped' after xmyth. ;-(
Reply to
T i m

the change comes from the acting profession itseelf. It's the same as CofE priests. Female priests are simply that not 'priestesses'.

Reply to
charles

Elsewhere it's called Yule.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You are not supposed to know the sex until you get the knickers off, and in many cases not even then...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That's a pretty risky approach to such things.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog
<snip>

Ok ...

So, if that was just for you then doesn't she get lonely when you are 'away all night' ... ;-)

If it was for you both then maybe it's not completely ultraistic (depending on how much the dinner / shopping costs and who pays for it etc). ;-) (Don't tell her I mentioned either).

<Googles them>

I'm not sure I would go to any of those, even if I was given the tickets, or to accompany anyone (even the Mrs) not just because I'm not 'into' their music but because ICBA with all the effort of getting to the venues (even though I'm in Nth London). If the Mrs wanted to go to something she would more likely go with someone else (who actually liked the group / person / event). We are both happy with that deal because we are both happy to be honest with each other.

That said, even though I don't mind ELO and like Madness, I wouldn't go to those (or any other really) gigs either these days because of my Tinnitus. Previously only seen Genesis at Earls Court (with a Genesis fan mate) and The Small Faces at the Finsbury Park Rainbow (with a girlfriend). Both were ok as an experience but not what I'd want to do often / again (for those groups at the time).

FWIW, I don't really follow any band, group or artist (or football team so maybe I'm just not tribal <g>) but like an eclectic range of tracks and for all sorts of different reasons.

Maybe I got all my 'going out and listening to music' out of my system when I was running my mobile disco for 7 years. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

p.s. Was given a free ticket to Phil Jupitus in a local venue (about 5 miles away, easy access, free parking). I like comedy but I'm not a particular fan of Mr Jupitus but was going to go 'because'. In the end we didn't because of trivial reasons.

Maybe I'm just not easily entertained?

Reply to
T i m

She comes too, although the shows aren't always her cup of tea.

She pays for everything!

It makes a nice night away on our own, too.

The Katie Melua one wasn't a lot of effort. 200 metre walk to the station, train into Victoria, Tube (one stop) to St James' Park. 80 metres to the hotel and dinner, another 150 metres or so to the venue!

These are usually smaller and more civilised.

Reply to
Bob Eager

It appears to be called 'Jule' in Denmark if the multilanguage Lidl label on my Xmas sweater is correct/

Reply to
charles

Well my swedish family parts call it something that sounds like 'hooler'

Spelt 'Jul'

German Julfest. Dutch yule

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher