OT - wireless card for old pc

Do mind the FM and DAB radio interference especially if there a bit on the weak side already...

Reply to
tony sayer

You can encrypt it, of course, so that's not necessarily an issue.

In practice, whether this is an issue or not depends on how close together the houses are. Assuming the usual practice of using different phases has been followed by the electricity company when wiring up the street, next-door can't pick it up at all. In many roads 3 houses along will be out of range. In fact, I can't get homeplug to connect between the top and middle floors of my house, as these are on different ring mains.

Reply to
GB

PCs have PCI or PCI-e, but not PC-card (which used to be PCMCIA) unless you've fitted a PCI-to-PC adapter.

Rob Morley

Verily, what say you, Sirrah? Be it 404 thou scurvy knave!

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

In article , Grimly Curmudgeon scribeth thus

Works fine here .. is it perhaps blocked over there?..

Reply to
tony sayer

Win 200, geddit?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

In article , Grimly Curmudgeon scribeth thus

Gottit!....

Reply to
tony sayer

Eh? AFAICS EA81510A is a BIOS version not a CPU ... but the D815EEA is a Pentium III era board.

OK, that's ancient. Even I'm not running any kit that old any more.

The main thing is that it has PCI expansion slots (rather than the older ISA or the newer PCIe). You can still get PCI WiFi cards, and they should (still) come with drivers for XP. Expect to pay about a tenner for a decent, basic, no-frills card.

For example (I haven't used one of these and am not recommending either the product or the supplier in particular):

[snip]

SP*2*? Do yourself a favour and get SP3.

Even that will be out of support next year, but it has a lot of worthwhile -- I'd go so far as to say "necessary" -- bugfixes that SP2 hasn't.

Cheers, Daniel.

Reply to
Daniel James