OT:Windows 7 Professional

geoff :

But between RC and R, Microsoft screwed it up. And they failed to unscrew it with SP1.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

ISTR that Windows 7 is actually a trivial amount *slower* than Vista, but they responsiveness of the GUI was improved, thus giving a much better subjective feel. Certainly I have found Windows 7 much nicer to use than Vista - and this is on the same machine, both times, with clean installs.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

disaster

Vista,

Just bought a copy of Win7 pro but not had the undisturbed time to commit to opening the packet and getting stuck in. Are there any tricks to performing a completely 'clean' install rather than an upgrade, as I want no issues from the previous XP installation pulled through.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Boot from the Win7 DVD and choose "custom install". If you have bought an upgrade it will check for a previous version then do a clean install.

P.S. - I have renamed my Win 7 to Windows Wilson. Every time I tell it to do something it says "do you think that's wise sir?".

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

There *is* no way to upgrade from WinXP to Win7, so you need to perform a "custom" install of Win7 which will wipe the partition anyway, you can use the migration wizard to assist in transferring files/settings, or just handle it yourself (I did the latter, so can't speak about the former).

Go with 64bit now to save the pain of re-installing again whenever you add more memory to the machine ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

When i Changed from vista to seven,, I noticed a vast improvement to media player.. I use a tv card and the programme guide info an everything else just intigrates so VERY much better..

Really feels better all round ..

But right now I am stuck with a windows update that fails to configure..

Everytime I start the PC it makes me wait five minutes of failed configuring time..

KRAKEN UP...!

GRRRR.

Rupert Bear

Beg pardon but the Two Vista machines here were infected with a Pox known as Vista, the WIN 7 replacement ones absolutely fly in comparison it's the best system that Microsoft have come up with since WIN 2000

.. IMHO of course;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

In message , tony sayer wrote

That's not because Win7 is any good - it's just because it's less bad than what Microsoft did previously.

Reply to
Alan

In article , Alan scribeth thus

Well a fair observation;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

Both of 'em are GNU/Linux's best promotional tool yet.....

Reply to
John Williamson

You could well be right. Such a shame however that the best promotional tool for GNU/Linux is not from its own merits but rather the failings of the/an alternative.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

I do find Win7 a great improvement, but I only use it whan I have to, for work. One son has a Vista laptop, but is basically a 'basic' user, so doesn't know (or care). The rest of us (SWMBO and also 14 year old son) have Win7, but rarely use it compared to our FreeBSD machines.

Reply to
Bob Eager

wrote

Vista and Windows 7 turned Apple into a bigger corporation them Microsoft.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I liked Windows NT 3.1. 3.51 was better. NT4 wasn't, 2000 OK and XP good. I have Vista on my main work machine, and don't like it. Even though I've used it on there for two years solid. Win7 I quite like, and my old laptop I upgraded from XP to Win7 (clean wipe install) and find it is definitely no slower, possibly faster, but it has extra features and the wireless networking works all the time. I'm toying with upgrading this box from XP to Win7 for those extra features - one of which is streaming to my new DLNA TV over the network.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

But with unfortunate timing timing for Fedora and Ubuntu distros, they've both set out their stall with spiffy new GUIs (gnome-shell and unity respectively) that seem to be from the "look how clever this is, la-la-lah we're not listening" school of researching what users actually want ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

That's always been a problem with Linux distros as far as I can see. That and (lack of) hardware support.

I have noticed, though, that when you pay for Linux by buying an item that uses it as an OS, that item is pretty reliable. (Carefully doesn't mention the EEEPC...)

Reply to
John Williamson

Somehow the distros need to get their own 'Linus' for the non-kernel parts.

Yes, you have to research hardware fairly carefully to avoid either proprietary drivers or none at all

Certainly creeping into plenty of STBs, routers, TVs, phones etc, they don't all get firmware upgrades as frequently as they ought to though.

Reply to
Andy Burns

And I don't count Mr Shuttleworth!

Reply to
Andy Burns

Sadly all too true. 10.04 might be the last version of Ubuntu I use, although where I'm going to go from here, gawd knows. I only just got over the pain of moving away from Solaris.

Reply to
Huge

My EEE (a '701) is fine. It does run Ubuntu NBR and not the hideous Xandros that comes with it, though.

Reply to
Huge