OT: Wimpy watersports

What's the obsession with keeping warm when surfing or other watersports? A bit of shivering won't hurt you. If you're cacooned in a wimpsuit, you're not really in the water and aren't enjoying nature to its full extent.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Fuck off with your inane troll shit Hucker, go and die somewhere.

Reply to
Richard Cranium

Guess you have never tried it. Then you would find out yourself.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Do you know what a kill file is? Every news reader has one.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

And you win prat of the year award. Have you never heard of cold shock or hypothermia in your galaxy? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Mother of a school friend of my elder daughter died by diving into a cold swimming pool

Reply to
charles

I refer you to the word in the title "wimpy".

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Bullshit. The human body is designed to accept many temperatures. Modern cosy society is not required.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I've done plenty watersports without any warm shit on. I enjoy shivering, just as most people don't care if they sweat.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

More fun and easier to not be cacooned.

Shivering is no less comfortable than sweating.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I've only worn one once, a top when snorkeling in the Florida Keys. The boat captain said we needed to wear it even in Florida because we might be in the water a couple of hours. I've seen surfers wearing them in California in January. The Pacific ocean is pretty cold there.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Or not wanting to bother with fashion.

Irrelevant. My point is people don't mind sweating, I often see people out for a run in clothing far too warm, soaked with sweat. Yet if their teeth chatter they think they're going to die.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

What temperature was this Florida water?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Strange but I read in that area in May it could be 25 degrees C. Maybe it was colder on the ocean coral reef park we were snorkeling on. At any rate we were all told to wear the wet suit top.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Might mention the surfers I saw in Ventura California in January have average water temp. of 14 deg C which is pretty damn cold to not have on a wet suit.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

People in charge of such things have a strange tendancy to overreact.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

You've gotta be kidding me! 20C is the temperature of the public swimming baths here. Never seen a single person complain after going in for an hour or so. and you think only 6C less is "damn cold"?!

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I think you should read this. I found it very interesting.

invalid unparseable