OT: Why are 3 door cars allowed on the road?

Bullshit. Most deer weigh 45-180 kg. Most cars weigh around 1000 kg.

Momentum is used to determine the final velocity actually. mv = mv. Ten times the mass, ten times less change in velocity.

A vehicle the same size as mine is easy to spot. They don't jump through hedges like deer.

I swerve into his then.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

No it isn't. You need to know the change in speed of the car. mv = mv

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Then killfile me you idiot.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Put wheels on the couch.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Did they squeeze past the guys or go through a broken window?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I'm talking about people with enough brains to realise what things are so unlikely they're not worth worrying about.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Most people like to avoid crashing.

I've seen one do it when a stupid woman cut in front. Smoke everywhere and nearly folded the cab under the trailer. You'd be surprised how good their brakes are nowadays.

He didn't, he swerved thinking I was further away or his engine was more powerful and he had time to overtake. We both then had time to realise some avoidance was necessary.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I have seen many photos where you're just plain wrong, especially a grassy embankment you roll along, or flying into a river.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I looked it up.

At ten times the weight difference, the car hardly changes speed. And it was a fair sized adult stag I hit.

Exactly, which is the final velocity compared to your initial speed. If you slow by 5mph, who cares?

Easy to spot someone not in control.

What are you doing driving fast enough to be able to hit something round a blind corner?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

On the contrary, I detest those who use language "correctly" instead of sensibly. It's 10 items or less ffs.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

That depends how OCD the mechanic is.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Was the sentence too difficult for you? "No cars have" means there are no cars which match the rest of the sentence. "Absent central locking" means there is no central locking.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I'd expect a vice and a lathe on a workstation.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

All cars that can drive are economic to repair.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

UK insurance does the same, but you can use it to your advantage. My first accident, a woman reversed into the side of my car at great speed in my work's car park. Dented the central pillar, and both doors that side. Insurance said "not worth repairing" and gave me the value of the car in their opinion, which was £700. When I mentioned it in the coffee room, my boss said he had one of the same model that was hardly working, so I bought it for £70, managed to drive it 30 miles home, having to hold it in gear, and keep the heater on full to stop it melting the engine, removed the two doors and put them on mine. The pillar just needed a strong friend with a sledge hammer. The stupid thing about insurance is they never consider replacing a used part with a used part. Why should you get a new one?

My local friendly garage fitted two racing hood-pins after they failed to get mine straight. I'd hit a Vauxhall Astra that had better brakes than mine. Never go from an ABS car to a non-ABS car, you don't stop where you think you will.

I just love it when health and softy shoots itself in the foot.

I bought a car for £700 that a dealer had lying about, when everything else said over £3000. Obviously didn't want it there. I used it for a year before deciding it was too small, then sold it for £900!

The lockdown will kill more people than the virus.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

British cars have brakes these days? Mirabele dictu. I had a '62 Sprite, the next year after the Bugeyes. It had a larger engine but still had the brakes that were marginal in the Bugeye. Stopping was an event to be planned well in advance.

On the plus side Austin-Healey were lying through their teeth when they said the vehicle would do 85. It was a fun car but like most British sports cars of that era would be sadly trounced by any current econobox.

Reply to
rbowman

i had one of those. with a good tune up it would do 85

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If you waited long enough, had a tailwind, and a slight decline... Considering the interstate speed limit here is 80 it would be out of its element. For tooling around upstate NY and VT it was fine. On most of the paved cow paths you'd be hard pressed to do 85 with any vehicle.

Reply to
rbowman

This isn't about cycling; please chat without the xpost, TIA.

Reply to
Kerr-Mudd, John

Thank you for xposting to tell us that.

Reply to