OT: Why are 3 door cars allowed on the road?

Which can be a good thing to remove unnecessary words like fewer.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Is that why Glaswegians say "burrrglarrr alarrrum"?

Commander Kinsey

On Wed, 23 Jun 2021 09:32:20 +0100, Steve Walker posted for all of us to digest...

Figure in that vehicles are much safer. Totaling a vehicle today is normal. Not so much before. Air bags and crumple zones & rescue personnel.

Reply to
Tekkie©

On Wed, 23 Jun 2021 07:49:56 -0600, rbowman posted for all of us to digest...

Where did you read that? ;-)

Reply to
Tekkie©

That's Charlotte Brontë's fault:

"The novel's popularity led to Shirley's becoming a woman's name. The title character was given the name that her father had intended to give a son."

Reply to
Max Demian

We had a Sidney like that as a PM for a while. Since she had a wife I assume she leaned toward the masculine side.

One of our clients recently had a person I had worked with retire and a Kelly moved up to his position. I approached that with care, asking one of our support people that had talked to them about gender. She's a she.

I've been cautious since a state criminal justice IT person by the name of Shawn showed up at our shop. Not quite the burly Mick I expected.

My favorite was the novelist Evelyn Waugh. His first wife was Evelyn Gardner. Supposedly their friends referred to them as He-Evelyn and She-Evelyn.

I knew a couple, Chris and Ray, that could confuse people. Ray was the birthing unit.

Reply to
rbowman

I have a cousin by that name. Given her age I assumed it had more to do with Shirley Temple than Bronte.

Reply to
rbowman

The NYT, by example. My high school English teacher would have worn out her red pen grading most of today's 'journalists'.

Reply to
rbowman

The someone is usually themselves. I've done more damage to myself as far as broken bones and scars with bicycles than motorcycles.

Reply to
rbowman

Looking at 2018, there were 36,385 deaths, say 100 per day. Scrolling down

"All holidays are generally a time of increased travel and traffic deaths. In 2018, Memorial Day was the holiday period with the most motor vehicle deaths (389), followed by Thanksgiving Day (385), Christmas Day (380), Labor Day (375), New Year?s Day (304) and Independence Day (152). See chart below."

The fine print under the chart says

"Thanksgiving is always 4.25 days;" Seems Thanksgiving is under performing.

"New Year?s Day, Independence Day, and Christmas are 3.25 days if the holiday falls on Friday through Monday, 4.25 days if on Tuesday"

Dec 25 2018 was a Tuesday as was 1 Jan 2019.

A couple of the others are a little higher than average but not in the OMG we're all going to die! range.

Reply to
rbowman

When a kid with a snowplow turned into my Yaris, it was totaled. I was going about 25 mph, the airbags did not deploy, and I drove the car back home, about a mile and a half, with no major parts falling off.

They don't make cars like they used to. Plastic 5 mph bumpers, crush zones, and so forth make write off inevitable.

The second Yaris did survive a deer collision with minor hood customization but the deer was basically riding on the hood for a while. He left the scene of the accident. Too bad since in this state if you kill it you take it home and grill it. The whole enchilada tht is, no gut piles by the side of the road thank you.

On the third Yaris. I hope this one lasts because they don't make them any more.

Reply to
rbowman

Thank f*ck for that. I test drove one once. Ghastly dashboard like a disco. Nosy as f*ck . Barely made it to 70mph, handled like a drunk hippotamus, and held the road like a Glaswegian alcoholic in a frozen gutter..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That model name covered a variety of very different cars

In the US it was actually a rebranded Mazda.

Joey

I wouldn't call it ghastly but the Yaris dash does resemble the star of Alien Song.

Blit

That must have been a Yaris from another planet.

Most open highways here have 80 mph speed limits. No problem, and it tops out at around 110. I had an informal little road race with a Mini Cooper on Highway 1 down through Big Sur and was still leading when the Mini pulled off. A few tourists standing around the overlooks might have jumped in the ocean as we passed.

Back in the day I drove Healeys, Alfas, MG's, and Triumphs. Looking at the performance figures of those 'sports cars' versus a Yaris makes you realize the old days weren't exactly better.

I look at the Yaris as the logical extension of the original Coopers rather than the over-priced retro model.

Reply to
rbowman

In the last years the sedan was a rebranded Mazda 2. Mine have all been hatchbacks and were the original Vitz from the JDM. There were a few updates from 2007 to 2018 although I preferred the 2007.

Reply to
rbowman

I didn't care for the central location in the 2007 and 2011, but the

2018 has the instrumentation in front of the wheel. It did lose a couple of handy little compartments though.
Reply to
rbowman

Wimp, as long as you're secured to the couch you'd be fine, here's the evidence:

Commander Kinsey

Then they must have broken the conservation of momentum, which is unlikely.

I don't do headons with heavy things.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Only happened once to me. A van was overtaking a row of cars on a single carriageway. I was going the other way. The van did not accelerate as fast as he'd hoped. I just moved over a bit.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey