OT: Why are 3 door cars allowed on the road?

Safety lock? I remember one cousin who had installed an aftermarket latch of sorts on the rear doors to confine his brood. I'm not exactly sure when central locks happened on most cars. My Lincoln had power locks, but it also had power windows and seats which weren't common in '62.

Reply to
rbowman

Nothing to do with central locking - cars have long had an option (by turning a cam on the end of the rear doors (hidden when the door is closed) using a screwdriver or the end of a key, that disables the internal door handles. The door can still be opened from outside or by the occupant by opening the window and using the outside handle. It is designed to stop young children, too young to know better, releasing the door by pulling the inner handle while moving or without checking for passing traffic/pedestrians.

Reply to
Steve Walker

That may well be. I haven't had a vehicle with rear doors since the early '70s.

Reply to
rbowman

Also used by cops when they are transporting "baddies" in the back seat (so I've been told).

Reply to
Max Demian

Removing the inside handles is easier and effective.

Reply to
rbowman

Yes, and cops should not get in the backseat with some hottie they picked up either. Happened to a local cop when I lived in CT. He spent the night in the back seat at the town landfill until someone showed up.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Why couldn't he climb over to the front? (Or is "CT" somewhere they have a cage in the back?)

Reply to
Max Demian

But not so easily reversible when they want to carry other officers, who may need to get out fast.

Reply to
Steve Walker

On Fri, 25 Jun 2021 21:36:01 -0600, rbowman posted for all of us to digest...

Ah, you put it nicely.

I think you can order some pickups on a municipal bid with a bench seat. The center console is called a "workstation" - more baloney.

Reply to
Tekkie©

On Mon, 28 Jun 2021 18:33:08 +0100, Max Demian posted for all of us to digest...

The upfitters disable the back handles and install cages. They also install special seat belts for the back seat riders.

Cops don't get in patrol vehicles they use the other part of the fleet.

There are many modifications for police vehicles most of which are unseen.

Reply to
Tekkie©

Many police cars have a cage. Safer that way.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Yes there is a screen behind the front seats. Lately there have also been bars installed to prevent kicking the rear window out.

Reply to
rbowman

I have a friend who gave me an explanation for this. He likes Audi saloons. Apparently they're quieter. I've never noticed. But he does have OCD.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

You know that much larger door at the back that lifts up? That's where you insert the luggage. I've put a full sized fridge-freezer in mine.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Not tall enough.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I can understand writing an article in a hurry, but not using a spellchecker?!

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Heavy thing hits light thing, heavy thing's speed is not altered much, simple.

Heavy things are usually large and I see them coming.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

If we had both slammed on our brakes, we could have stopped easily before colliding at all, nevermind at a fatal speed.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

He could just as easily have been ejected away from danger.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Better to be out of the burning wreck.

Reply to