OT: Who designs these thing?

Yes we have that as well in a multi storey car park. What sickness my happiness is there is a surcharge for using a credit card instead of cash. Lets see how that works.

Credit card used funds go directly to suppliers bank

Cash used

Send round two mwn to collect cash. Take it back to the office and count and bag it. Two men take it to the bank.

Its a no-brainer isn't it?

Obviously the credit card charges would be in excess of all this labour.

Not

Reply to
fred

The ticket machines at my local station are outside and face due south, so that in strong sunshine, the screen is unreadable.

Reply to
Andrew

Certainly don't look cheap. First few times I used it (paying cash) was pretty impressed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

i think we've had this conversation here before. UI design on public terminals sucks in a big way. Crappy software, crappy touchscreens, generally poor design, lack of clear, intuitive instructions, laggy, slow operation.

I'm a techy. I spend my day working with different UIs. I've worked with amny different OSs and input methods, from DOS to many different Unix/unix-like systems, network switches/hubs etc, but I still think some of the worst user experiences I've ever had have been devices aimed at the non-technical public.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I have no problem reading the instruments etc on my car without reading specs - even at my advanced age. To me, it would make sense to have anything car related like a parking terminal with sizes such that this would be so too. They seem to manage that with credit card terminals in a shop.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Actually, not sure it is free, as I've not used it. But it doesn't use the same system as the public car park.

But. A wheel chair user has really little option of using PT when going to hospital. Others have. And being taken there by a carer etc saves the cost of an ambulance type transport.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Can you use a debit card (bank card) free? Think for things like VED you pay more if you used a credit, rather than debit card too?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

At my surgery, most seem to use it OK. Old and young. Same at hospital reception. Those who can't can still use the receptionist.

I'd not think it costs megabucks extra, since the receptionist has to enter the same data to the system.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)
<snip>

Yup.

Agreed.

It's funny though, watching even (potentially able bodied) deal with these things.

Like, at a local cash point recently, the card, when ejected from the reader is only half accessible (on the left), meaning it's easiest to access with the finger and thumb of the left hand.

So I do, slip the card straight into my front trouser pocket so I can be ready for the cash and / or receipt whilst keeping my hands as free as possible.

The cash / receipt also gets folded in half and stuck *straight* into my front trouser (often jeans) pocket.

The Mrs on the other hand will often do some strange Freemason type handshake to be able to grab the card with her right hand because she's holding her purse in the left. She will then carefully put the receipt / cash in her purse and then seem to take ages putting the purse back in her bag and zipping it up etc.

I know which method feels the least vulnerable / exposed. ;-)

I wonder if 'awareness of surrounding's and 'general observation' varies between the sexes (especially when out and about)?

I was working on the car the other day when a casual acquaintance neighbour wheeled his bike past and when we walked back a bit later with his dog, I commented ...

'Hiya. Have you fitted a rear hub brake or something on your bike as it looks different?'

He told me he'd just fitted an aftermarket powered hub (and battery pack etc). ;-)

I don't always notice if the Mrs has changed her hair / nail colour though. I guess it's down to what things you are interested in. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Well, things *will* get better but it takes a while for new requirements to filter through to procured ICT, especially when money is tight. The revised EU Procurement Directive requires accessibility to be considered and EN 301549 (Accessibility requirements for ICT products and services) is currently being revised to include the physical aspects of interfaces (it was last revised to convert it into a Harmonised EN to support the Web and Mobile Apps Directive, and to reflect the WCAG2.1 AA SCs). The revised EN is likely to include the same physical requirements as the current Section 508 of the US rehabilitation act and to be in line with ISO21542 (Accessibility and usability of the built environment).

Reply to
nothanks

I wonder which side of the brain one uses for such things and whether that has any connection with which side of the face you get slapped for something you have or haven't done depending on the situation. :-D

Reply to
whisky-dave

I make a note in my grandchildrens diaries. Maybe their grandkids will notice.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Running a car isn't free.

Reply to
dennis

Which shamefully reduces abuse.

Birmingham introduced charges for BB parking a while back in city centre on street bays. Abuse fell the day after ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Really, it says they are free on their website.

"If you display your Blue Badge, parking is free at pay and display on-street parking bays (with no time limits) and at council car parks."

Reply to
dennis

Many people attending hospital are ill. in pain or suffering temporary disability. No-one goes there for fun. Why is there a discrimination between parking costs for those with permanent disabilities and those with temporary ones?

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Have they?

My wife can drive, but she can't walk far and she can't use buses due to balance problems and the effect these sort of vehicles have on her senses.

I can't use public transport for my appointments for practical reasons. Instead of a half-hour journey from work, the appointment and then another half hour journey back, I'd have two public transport journeys of 2 hours each, plus additional wasted time as they don't run exactly when I need them - and I am paid by the hour. So the choice is lose significant pay or drive.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Ask the government. There is and that's as far as it goes.

Reply to
dennis

I have a new Ford, and they seem to have fixed that now. Completely new software.

Reply to
Bob Eager

+1

One of the few things I actually like about Apple gear is the Magsafe connector. ;-)

As you say, I have 'salvaged' my first tablet from the early days, an Archos G9 by gluing a magnetic adaptor into the damaged uUSB charging socket.

I believe it's reversible for charging but has to be the right way round to also allow a data-link.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m