OT: Who designs these thing?

I can see that bluetooth would struggle for bandwidth, even USB can be a little lumpy e.g. when satnav is repainting full screen as you turn a curve.

Car and phone support wireless charging, but if you want to project phone screen to car screen it's an annoyance to have to plug it in.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I'd be worried that plugging it in and out every time you get in and out of the car would wear the connector prematurely. From once a day charging (mine actually manages once every two days) to say 5 times a day - once for charging, twice for driving to work and back and twice for nipping out to the shops or something similar.

Okay you don't need the satnav for those, but you may still want hands-free calls, music, etc., which seems to be the way car/phone use is going.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Err, there is free disabled parking for those who arrive in a wheel chair. And rightly so.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It doesn't have to work for blind people, there is a receptionist.

No solution works for all disabilities so alternatives are there.

It works well at my doctors, probably because when it was put in the receptionist showed people how to book in rather than just doing it on her screen.

Then of course other patients show those that are having trouble how to do it.

We are more helpful here than many places by the sounds of it.

You can even stop at a zebra crossing, wind the window down and talk to the blind guy waiting to cross so he knows its OK. Generally if they can get to a crossing they don't need someone to hold their hands while they cross.

Reply to
dennis

My main complaint was having to kneel on the wet pavement. ;-) And the tiny buttons on the terminal. A normal card terminal in a store is big enough for me to read without reading specs.

I'm now wondering if I missed a touch reader. I'll look more carefully next time I use it. Without a queue at them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They have a system like that on the Tesco car park in west brom. I have seen people unable to use it because they haven't got their reading glasses with them and can read the screen.

Its not only the blind that can't see.

Reply to
dennis

the annoyance comes when you set off on a journey where you think you won't need satnav, and then half-way through you do need it e.g. to route around congestion.

It doesn't need USB connection for handsfree, it can do music over wifi between phone and car, but it does need USB for the podcast app.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I can see why there should be disabled parking which is closer/more convenient for those that need it, but why should it be free if normal parking isn't?

Reply to
Andy Burns
8<

Buy a magnetic cable and connector. They aren't expensive.

eg.

make sure its does sync as some don't.

Reply to
dennis

Brian Gaff presented the following explanation :

They have these thing at the hospital and at the main local surgery - where they are installed, they seem to work well and reduce the receptionists workload. I do appreciate they can be a problem for the partially sighted.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

dennis@home presented the following explanation :

I logged in at the receptionist the first few times, until I spotted the self login system. I had not problem using it at all, from memory its is just pick the first letter of your surname, DOB month and maybe year and it does the rest to log you in. I suppose where there is some conflict that is maybe asks for more detail to narrow it down to one patient logging in?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Well you evidently have a particular use-case.

I just go System Prefs -> Keyboard -> Modifier Keys -> CapsLock -> No Action.

Even the LED on the caps-lock key doesn't come on now.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Starts with DOB day/month on ours, that's almost always enough. It did once then ask for year but that's one occasion in 10 years or so.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Magnetic connectors have changed my life.

If I could find a manufacturer that can manage to make full function ones for Android and Lightning (SWMBO uses an iPad) I'd be a happy man.

I have an assortment - all charge but only some work for data.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I don't really want to convert all my USB type C devices to some proprietary connector.

Reply to
Andy Burns

What about the disabled that don't need a wheel chair but still have problems using public transport so are driven around by their partner, etc.?

Reply to
dennis

Some of them may have to use a car, you can catch a bus.

Reply to
dennis

Which wouldn't be free either ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

*shrug*

The magnetic doohickey can be removed if needed. You can also carry a small USB->magnetic adapter to be able to use someone else cable.

But no longer having to mechanically use the connector can only prolong the life of the device which is a big win for me.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

What if they arrive by car, with the wheelchair in the back ?.

Reply to
Andrew