OT: Who allocates house numbers in UK?

We successfully changed the spelling of our house name in the County Council and Postcode databases 13 years ago. Yet the same council's refuse department still uses the old spelling in their address database. And, yes, I have told them once or twice.
--

Roger Hayter

On 22/11/17 00:49, Roger Hayter wrote:

My house name is correct in the Postcode and Council's database but Council Tax and Wessex Water still use the older name.
--
djc

(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)
On Tue, 21 Nov 2017 11:43:57 +0000, Jeff Layman

We had a similar single main street through the village terminating at the river. There was nothing to state the name of the street, some called it Church Lane, others Main Street, others said it was one for part and the other for the rest. Our Parish Meeting (lower than a Parish Council) approached the Borough Council and a fixed name was agreed and a street sign erected.

On the above street the top end and the bottom end had, and still have, the same postcode. Our block of cottages were designated as one, incorrect, code, which not only made a mess with satnavs but also every time a credit search was needed. That's was sorted by the Post Office (I think) though it may have been in conjunction with the Borough Council.

Coincidentally I used to get mailings intended for Boots for some strange reason. I used to forward them on but gave up.
--
AnthonyL

I had this happen with two houses that I lived in. The first was an existing house, built maybe 5 years before I bought it. The postcode digit in the second part changed some time during the 1990s from 3 to 0. The Royal Mail were no help at all: their attitude was "your postcode has changed - if any letters are addressed to the old postcode they will not be delivered". I imagine many people's postcodes were affected in the same way - a change of digit but the letters remained the same: xx12 3yy went to xx12 0yy.
Then the same thing happened in my second house - one of a brand new development. All the houses had the same code and the digit changed from 5 to 4. I'm not sure whether the builder had been given the wrong information or whether the Royal Mail had allocated a code in the wrong area.
In both cases, the old postcode was never reused so it would have been easy enough for the Royal Mail to have set up an automatic redirection to give people chance to wrote to all the many companies to get the postcode changed on their database.
On 21/11/2017 09:50, Bob Minchin wrote:

We had this problem. I discussed it with neighbours and amazingly they didn't want numbers because it was 'common'. Nevertheless I got onto the council and they came out and allocated numbers, and wrote to everyone telling them what their number was. My name was mud then on our street. Thirty five years later some people still refuse to display the number, so I get pizza delivery boys knocking on my door at ridiculous hours asking for directions. I don't usually know where the named houses are so I can rarely help. It's quite interesting though. They only get a quid for each delivery and they have to pay for their own transport.
Bill
On Tue, 21 Nov 2017 11:45:30 +0000, Bill Wright

No opportunity just not to accept the Pizza as you mistakenly thought somebody in your household had ordered it? Might make people have a think about their objections to having a number.
G.Harman
On Tue, 21 Nov 2017 11:45:30 +0000, Bill Wright

Me too. Our house has no number, just a name, because it was built years after the road was numbered, as were three other houses that are our my immediate neighbours. This is in a university town so we too, get attempted pizza delivery, usually at the beginning of the academic year. I used to ask if it was a vegetarian pizza and when the almost inevitable reply of 'no' came I said it can't be for me then and shut the door. - Mike

I do PC support for customers in the local towns and villages, so I have to find a lot of houses. Anyone who's got a house name makes it a lot harder to locate: a postcode gets you close but not right to the house, and unlike numbers you can't infer where a house is if you find a neighbouring house. Luckily someone has produced a web site of maps for the villages round here which shows every house, annotated with a reference number in a list of alphabetic house names and street names. Without that, I'd be lost.
It isn't helped by Google Streetview's policy of blurring text on their photos. There may be good reasons for doing it, but it's a shame that they don't make an exception for people's house numbers on their front door or gate. I always look up a house on Streetview to see where I'll be going, and in some cases it's difficult to find two houses with visible numbers to work out which way the numbering goes.
What is even more odd is the number of people who don't have any number or name displayed on their house or on the gate. How they expect the emergency services to find them in a hurry is anyone's guess. I wonder if emergency services have access to a map which shows every house by name/number - an official version of the unofficial maps that I've used for villages near me.
On Tuesday, 21 November 2017 12:57:40 UTC, NY wrote:

cy

me.
The Ordnance Survey should have everything. When I moved here, umpteen yea rs ago, the father (he and/or his brother worked for the OS) gave me A4 cop ies of this part of the local 1:2500 maps, and they include all that should be needed for this outer London area. Presumably the Emergency Services h ave that or better,
The same is shown, larger, when one uses the Council service to report some thing like a broken bollard.
I have yet to discover a way of directly getting that map electronically (w ithout payment).
--
(c) John Stockton, near London, UK. Using Google, no spell-check. |
Mail: J.R.""""""""@physics.org - or as Reply-To |

Surrey CC have waht they call an "interactive Map" on their website.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

The 1:2500 (approx 25 inch/mile) maps don't show and name/number every single house, especially in a terrace, but they are almost good enough. http://maps.nls.uk/view/125637283#zoom=6&lat158&lon 847&layers=BT is a 1941 25-inch map.
Some councils have maps that number/name most buildings - or at least they number the beginning and end of a sequence of houses where it is obvious what the intervening numbers are.
https://arcg.is/fKiaD (a link to https://www.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?idn02c41a806e46879e7dc215f1275afb&extentF0107.7942%2C451878.3831%2C460231.0902%2C451990.3021%2C27700 ) is an example for the same area of York, zoomed in to maximum level of detail.
On Tuesday, 21 November 2017 17:04:20 UTC, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

ears ago, the father (he and/or his brother worked for the OS) gave me A4 c opies of this part of the local 1:2500 maps, and they include all that shou ld be needed for this outer London area. Presumably the Emergency Services have that or better,

(without payment).

Try https://www.openstreetmap.org
You may find the information you want is already there. If not, you can add it yourself!
Open Street Map is created by anybody who wishes to contribute and, of cour se, it is free. The level of information available at any given location is entirely dependent on the contributors. I've added a few corrections and a dditions over the years, so it can't be THAT difficult!
Good luck!
On 21/11/17 12:57, NY wrote:

And streetview even blurs out street names.

Go to the local council planning dept website. Not all councils use the same system but most have a location map display for planning applications etc. If you zoom in you can usually get a display of 'property point' data including names or numbers
eg

--
djc

(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)
On Tue, 21 Nov 2017 09:50:30 +0000, Bob Minchin wrote:

Start with the Highways department of your local council ?
We wanted to give our house a name which would appear on the PAF database. The PAF database is compiled from local authority submissions, and the process is the same as naming a road - the same forms etc.
It's as opaque as you can get (even the council didn't know at first) plus there's a fee of hundreds of pounds.
In the end we saved the money, and just started using the name for every online order, and correspondence address. I have now noticed that it's "fed back" into the system and almost all databases have picked it up ....
I think it seems that the post office has the power to add numbers if they so desire. It was done in a local close not that long ago as all the houses were named after types of tree. Ashcroft villas etc. Brian
--
----- -
On 21/11/2017 12:24, Brian Gaff wrote:

No it is definitely local council and the PO are at their mercy or you wouldn't have the Bolton/Manchester Road house numbering conundrum:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/postmans-nightmare-uk-street-houses-11237094

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On Tue, 21 Nov 2017 12:24:00 +0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

Most of our town wasn't numbered until 1938. Our house is in xxxx Avenue, and is named 'xxxx House'!
On Tuesday, 21 November 2017 09:49:12 UTC, Bob Minchin wrote:

I live in a village of over 1000 houses. Less than 2% have numbers. Two postal codes cover the entire village.
On 21/11/2017 15:02, harry wrote:

a postcode is the whole thing, including the final "unit"
--
Robin

My S-I-L lived in Eire. Their address was ", The Hill, Abbeyfeale".
"The Hill, Abbeyfeale" was probably about 200 houses spread over several square miles. Eire has no postcodes. Yet.
--
Today is Setting Orange, the 33rd day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3183