OT: Who allocates house numbers in UK?

Can't be Chinese built then because #8 is associated with good luck unlike its antithesis #4 (some buildings lack a 4th floor).

Just as there are sometime no #13's in the UK in China and Japan you can find that #4 is very unpopular (crockery are in sets of five too).

Reply to
Martin Brown

Most clerks are paid at a national rate. Our's works 28 hours a week.

Reply to
charles

Our is works ... ?

What does that mean?

Reply to
Tim Streater

There is a process that you can go through with Royal Mail to get added "Additional Location Information" to your official address in the PC database. Takes a while and has to be supported by PC/DC/CC local MP and ultimately a majority of those affected. We did succeed though in our case.

Reply to
bert

In article , Tim Streater writes

It does indeed but the system does work - eventually.

Reply to
bert

Check for the "Street Naming and Numbering Authority (or Officer)" in your area, Shame couriers aren't geared up to use the UPRN rather than postcodes.

Reply to
Andy Burns

He means "the one belonging to us", which is one of those exceptional-case possessives that does *not* take an apostrophe: ours, not our's.

Reply to
NY

And streetview even blurs out street names.

Go to the local council planning dept website. Not all councils use the same system but most have a location map display for planning applications etc. If you zoom in you can usually get a display of 'property point' data including names or numbers

eg

Reply to
DJC

Yes, I presume Harry did mean the whole postcode including the second (inward): AB12 3DE and AB12 3DF (fictitious examples) as opposed to AB12 xxx and AB13 xxx which differ in the first (outward) part.

Reply to
NY

The 1:2500 (approx 25 inch/mile) maps don't show and name/number every single house, especially in a terrace, but they are almost good enough.

is a

1941 25-inch map.

Some councils have maps that number/name most buildings - or at least they number the beginning and end of a sequence of houses where it is obvious what the intervening numbers are.

(a link to
is an example for the same area of York, zoomed in to maximum level of detail.

Reply to
NY

Like its and theirs, you mean?

Reply to
Tim Streater

I doubt that. I'd say these days most parish clerks are not paid at all.

Most parish councils I know don't have sufficient budget to employ a paid parish clerk nor are they able to find anyone prepared to do the job for the price they are willing to pay. Most parish clerks these days are unpaid councillors doing it because no one else is willing.

Out of the parish councils in Hambleton District only 16 out of the 92 could employ a minimum wage parish clerk for 28 hours a week and still have anything at all left over from their precept to spend in the parish. This isn't at all unusual in large rural counties.

Reply to
Martin Brown

and his and hers.

Reply to
Dave W

ears ago, the father (he and/or his brother worked for the OS) gave me A4 c opies of this part of the local 1:2500 maps, and they include all that shou ld be needed for this outer London area. Presumably the Emergency Services have that or better,

(without payment).

Try

You may find the information you want is already there. If not, you can add it yourself!

Open Street Map is created by anybody who wishes to contribute and, of cour se, it is free. The level of information available at any given location is entirely dependent on the contributors. I've added a few corrections and a dditions over the years, so it can't be THAT difficult!

Good luck!

Reply to
Terry

The PC can up its precept. No reason at all to be unable to pay a clerk.

Also: what's this 28 hours a week nonsense? Many clerks around here are clerks for several parish councils, five or six in some cases. There's not that much work involved that this is untenable.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Most of our town wasn't numbered until 1938. Our house is in xxxx Avenue, and is named 'xxxx House'!

Reply to
Bob Eager

snip

Having spent time visiting people in the rural midlands, less than fifty percent of farms put up a name board at all, let alone want to be found by computers. It is fascinating to know that though - why can't it be just done compulsorily for everyone - they would then be in just the same position as people living in numbered streets?

Reply to
Roger Hayter

We successfully changed the spelling of our house name in the County Council and Postcode databases 13 years ago. Yet the same council's refuse department still uses the old spelling in their address database. And, yes, I have told them once or twice.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

it means the clerk of our council. Different meaning of the apostrophy

Reply to
charles

They could, but this is Yorkshire and they are unwilling to do that. The hassles of running PAYE put most off unless they have a tame accountant.

It is academic anyway since there is no-one left willing to do the tedious chore of being parish clerks in remote parishes any more. The last generation of parish clerks who had the attitude you describe and worked multiple distant parishes retired about 5 years ago aged 85+.

That was how it worked round here too, but there hasn't been anyone willing to take the job on apart from for the larger councils that can offer at least a weeks worth of work per month. A typical small parish council generates about 8 hours of work a month tops (5 hours if you are really efficient including the meetings). I know because I have done it.

Reply to
Martin Brown