OT which webpage design software

I need to produce another site, but the requirements are beyond my hand cod ing ability. Have just installed bluefish only to find it's text mode only! No use to me. It looks like it does lots of things, 95% of which I've no i dea what they are. What software would be good for this job? I run linux he re, no [modern] windows.
NT

I haven't used bluefish for a while, but IIRC, you're wrong. Investigate further.
You could also consider looking at Amaya.
--
Today is Boomtime, the 42nd day of Chaos in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.

Vi.

"Saki"

ed
(I think you meant vi)
--
Max Demian

On Sat, 11 Feb 2017 06:52:24 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Again, being Linux means you are possibly restricted to what some might consider good (cheap) tools for this sort of job.
Our daughter used Serifs 'Web plus' (bought for about 15 quid or summat) and did the whole web presence thing herself (registered her domain name, created the site and uploaded it and arranged the email etc).
I think the WebPlus functionality has been (was, discontinued now I understand) incorporated in PagePlus ('Export to Web'?):
http://www.serif.com/pageplus/
So, if you can't find a suitable Linux app, PPX9 is supported on XP-W10 (depending on how old your Windows is) as covered in the manual here: (p12).
http://www.serif.com/media/community/pdfs/pageplusx9.pdf
Maybe it might be worth a look?
Or there is a free starter version:
http://serif-webplus.soft32.com/free-download/?dm=1
Cheers, T i m
On Sat, 11 Feb 2017 06:52:24 -0800, tabbypurr wrote:

Googles own Web Designer
Vi
Screem
Kompozer
Just some to try that I've used with varying degrees of success in the past. All on Linux.
On Saturday, 11 February 2017 17:00:51 UTC, Mark Allread wrote:

It turns out the Mint 17 repository lacks kompozero or screem. Vi it has but it's just a text editor.
http://www.kompozer.net/download has a variety of linux links, but frankly I've no idea which to download or what to do with it. I did learn from win98 that when you know an OS backwards, it's obsolete.
Google offers files that generate: Error: wrong architecture 'amd64' - which this isn't. Don't you love computers.
NT
On Sat, 11 Feb 2017 14:10:10 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:
<snip>

Welcome to the d-i-y world of Linux. ;-)

Doh! ;-)

Welcome to Linux for non geeks. With Windows you generally download one file and it will install on anything from XP to W10, 32 or 64 bit.

I'm not sure I've ever known any OS backwards but generally well enough to do most of what I need fairly easily. Very little of what I have learned whilst dealing with computers over 30+ helped me at all with Linux (inc CPM, Netware and Apple OS / OSX).

Nice. I installed a fancy nVidia CLI card on Ubuntu 17 for someone the other day and it too kicked off about 32 bit support (on the 64 bit machine) but a reboot or two seemed to have it working ok.

Love, no. Have been involved with for a long time and gave me a good living for much of that time, yes. ;-)
Have you tried the stuff here for Kompozer OOI? (Not that there is any guarantee anything not specifically for your Distro, version and even Desktop Environment would work on your particular Linux install ...
http://puolanka.info/goto/how-to-install-kompozer-on-ubuntu-14-04-lts-or-linux-mint-17/
I just copy and paste stuff and keep my fingers crossed. ;-)
Cheers, T i m
On Sunday, 12 February 2017 00:14:26 UTC, T i m wrote:

I've got kompozer running, will see how it goes. Thanks folks!
NT

And then bitch all over usenet about how crap Linux is because you can't make it work. Prat.
*rolls eyes*
--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
On Sat, 11 Feb 2017 23:36:28 -0800, tabbypurr wrote:
<snip> >> Have you tried the stuff here for Kompozer OOI? (Not that there is any

or-linux-mint-17/

I would be interested to hear how you get on for when other people ask me about web design (not something I've ever done).
I tried to install it here for you when it was first mentioned here (I have installed it previously somewhere, possibly on Windows) but failed at the first hurdle in reminding myself if I was running 32 or 64 bit. I opened Sysinfo but the only screen that wouldn't open was the General one (causing Sysinfo to shut down when I tried).
Software Centre wouldn't open (still won't) and Konpozer doesn't appear in Synaptic (so much for these magical repositories). ;-(
So I gave up, too much like hard work for a system that is supposed to work for me and make my life easier!
Cheers, T i m
On Saturday, 11 February 2017 14:52:27 UTC, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

What sort of website?
The free version of bluegriffon is free, but doesn't include a CSS editor.
Owain
On Saturday, 11 February 2017 17:12:41 UTC, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

I've no idea how to answer that :)
NT
On Saturday, 11 February 2017 22:11:40 UTC, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

http://www.bluegriffon.org/#download
Owain
I don't know what the site is going to be for, but a word of warning the EU is moving toward only accessible designs these days, so if its possibly goiing to involve goods or services, then here in the UK it could fall foul of the e Equalities act goods and services if, for example blind persons with a screenreader cannot use it from the keyboard. I have been told a lot of the web creation software does not always comply with this, I don't know what the situation is in Linux though. Brian
--
----- -
On 11/02/17 18:52, Brian Gaff wrote:

Te situation is that if I am selling stuff to people with eyes, I dont give a shit about blind people.
And guess what. We are leaving the EU so all this nonsense can disappear.
private property.

These laws are UK laws. Why do you think Brexit will magically make these laws go away?

Because he's living in the sad fantasy world of all Brexiteers where "Brexit means whatever-the-fuck-I-want-it-to."
--
Today is Pungenday, the 43rd day of Chaos in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.

Have the people who operate the European Commission's website been told about this?
--
Jack

Try:
http://kompozer.net/download.php