OT which webpage design software

I need to produce another site, but the requirements are beyond my hand cod ing ability. Have just installed bluefish only to find it's text mode only! No use to me. It looks like it does lots of things, 95% of which I've no i dea what they are. What software would be good for this job? I run linux he re, no [modern] windows.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I haven't used bluefish for a while, but IIRC, you're wrong. Investigate further.

You could also consider looking at Amaya.

Reply to
Huge

Vi.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Again, being Linux means you are possibly restricted to what some might consider good (cheap) tools for this sort of job.

Our daughter used Serifs 'Web plus' (bought for about 15 quid or summat) and did the whole web presence thing herself (registered her domain name, created the site and uploaded it and arranged the email etc).

I think the WebPlus functionality has been (was, discontinued now I understand) incorporated in PagePlus ('Export to Web'?):

So, if you can't find a suitable Linux app, PPX9 is supported on XP-W10 (depending on how old your Windows is) as covered in the manual here: (p12).

Maybe it might be worth a look?

Or there is a free starter version:

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

ed

(I think you meant vi)

Reply to
Max Demian

Googles own Web Designer

Vi

Screem

Kompozer

Just some to try that I've used with varying degrees of success in the past. All on Linux.

Reply to
Mark Allread

What sort of website?

The free version of bluegriffon is free, but doesn't include a CSS editor.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I don't know what the site is going to be for, but a word of warning the EU is moving toward only accessible designs these days, so if its possibly goiing to involve goods or services, then here in the UK it could fall foul of the e Equalities act goods and services if, for example blind persons with a screenreader cannot use it from the keyboard. I have been told a lot of the web creation software does not always comply with this, I don't know what the situation is in Linux though. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Try:

John Rumm

Te situation is that if I am selling stuff to people with eyes, I dont give a shit about blind people.

And guess what. We are leaving the EU so all this nonsense can disappear.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It turns out the Mint 17 repository lacks kompozero or screem. Vi it has but it's just a text editor.

has a variety of linux links, but frankly I've no idea which to download or what to do with it. I did learn from win98 that when you know an OS backwards, it's obsolete.

Google offers files that generate: Error: wrong architecture 'amd64' - which this isn't. Don't you love computers.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I've no idea how to answer that :)

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Welcome to the d-i-y world of Linux. ;-)

Doh! ;-)

Welcome to Linux for non geeks. With Windows you generally download one file and it will install on anything from XP to W10, 32 or 64 bit.

I'm not sure I've ever known any OS backwards but generally well enough to do most of what I need fairly easily. Very little of what I have learned whilst dealing with computers over 30+ helped me at all with Linux (inc CPM, Netware and Apple OS / OSX).

Nice. I installed a fancy nVidia CLI card on Ubuntu 17 for someone the other day and it too kicked off about 32 bit support (on the 64 bit machine) but a reboot or two seemed to have it working ok.

Love, no. Have been involved with for a long time and gave me a good living for much of that time, yes. ;-)

Have you tried the stuff here for Kompozer OOI? (Not that there is any guarantee anything not specifically for your Distro, version and even Desktop Environment would work on your particular Linux install ...

I just copy and paste stuff and keep my fingers crossed. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

These laws are UK laws. Why do you think Brexit will magically make these laws go away?

Reply to
Fredxxx

I've got kompozer running, will see how it goes. Thanks folks!

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

There's SeaMonkey, descendent of the old NetScape but maintained within the Mozilla unmbrella. It's browser + E-Mail client + web site creator.

Reply to
Chris Green

Because he's living in the sad fantasy world of all Brexiteers where "Brexit means whatever-the-f*ck-I-want-it-to."

Reply to
Huge

Brian Gaff posted

Have the people who operate the European Commission's website been told about this?

Reply to
Handsome Jack

Free. Google Sites, Wordpress.com, Blogger.com

Ye can ignore/hide the blog bits and just write ya content online.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz