OT What is the UKs biggest town

Either by population or by area.

I just had a 50 bet with someone that it is not Huddersfield.

Reply to
ARW

I think you'll be good for your 50 quid. A quick Google says it's Reading, with Huddersfield 11th Mine's a pint....

Reply to
GMM

By population, Reading, according to

Huddersfield is in 11 place.

Reply to
Graham.

Presumably the point is that cities are excluded?

This has it Reading:

These include cities and have it London:

Java Jive

Does this mean then that Reading could soon become a City?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

As far as I am aware there is no Cathedral in Reading, so it CANNOT be a city

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

How about Unitary Authorities? Medway beats reading 234,000 to 264,000.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

They applied to be one of the Silver Jubbly cities ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

In article , ARW writes

Given the contenders, is that biggest town or biggest shit'ole?

Reply to
fred

That's no longer one of the criteria. Brighton has no cathedral.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Good question!

Before I went to live >

Reply to
Java Jive

Where is Southampton's cathedral? Or Sunderland's? Or Brighton and Hove's?

Reply to
polygonum

Oops, not Silver, try Diamond

Reply to
Andy Burns

Its pretty cheesy tho.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

that's got to be stoke on trent surely?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I wouldn't call any of em cities.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Reply to
Java Jive

A town is not designated as a city because of it having a cathedral. (It used to be).

It's based on population size and various other criteria

Reply to
Bod

Your choice entirely!

At the same time, there are quite a few long-established cities which have few of the attributes we often associate with the term "city". Except they have a cathedral.

Reply to
polygonum

There's no cathedral in Stoke-on-Trent, either, but that *is* a city. and they've got a charter granted in 1925 to prove it.

And, Brian, it only takes a Royal Commission and an application to make a new city.

Reply to
John Williamson