OT what have I done?

In a momentary fit of insanity I allowed an offering of Explorer 8.0 (I think) to download.

The only visible consequence is an overnight firing up of Explorer such that I am greeted each morning with a Windows related advert. Curiously the screen is prevented from entering sleep mode.

Today's offering was for a Windows driver scanner for a Brother printer.

I am using XP with service pack 3. I know this system is about to be unsupported so am becoming very nervous about anything uninvited!

Any thoughts?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I call malware. That certainly isn't normal IE8 behaviour.

IE8 should have long been upgraded by Windows Update. Where did this "offering" come from...?

Reply to
Adrian

In article , Tim Lamb scribeth thus

Did you download it from the real Microsoft website as sometimes down loads for such aren't the real thing and come packages with other "wares"...

Like Firefox that can come from other then the Mozzie foundation site..

Reply to
tony sayer

Do you have another computer that you can use to make a bootable CD to scan this machine for any known malware? Corrupting IE to make it show adverts or hijack keystrokes is unfortunately all too common.

You can't trust the main machine any more. There are some tools that use enough obfuscation that they might be able to detox an infected machine without being noticed by the malware. I have found MalwareBytes to work fairly well on other peoples infected PCs YMMV

Martin Brown

Agreed that malwarebytes is the way to clear this, an excellent program, well thought of, very thorough and even asks polite permission to update itself before attempting to do so.

I prefer the direct download at:

Cnet frequently (although not in this case) put up their own 'trick' download buttons to encourage you to install their own junkware.

It sounds like a fairly benign bit of adware, I'd download malwarebytes then unplug the machine form the internet then boot in safe mode and do their recommended scan.

Read the resulting report carefully and choose what you want rid of and what you want to keep, the adware should be obvious.

Running their beta antirootkit scan overnight (very thorough) after you have done this would be a good move too.

I'd then run malwarebytes again after a day or so to make sure that a hidden trigger has re-installed the malware.

Firefox would be a better day to day browser but I would pick up v21.0 from mozilla or oldversion.com as it has more accessible privacy features than the latest version from Mozilla.

for windows:

GB/Firefox%20Setup%2021.0b7.exe

or all o/ss

HTH

Reply to
fred

From a screen print....

It claims to be a Microsoft gold certified partner.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message , tony sayer writes

er.. probably not. It looked authentic but I didn't check. Norton did not raise any objections.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Only my wife's laptop (running Vista) This sounds to be beyond my current skill set:-(

OK Noted. Thanks

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message , fred writes

Excellent Fred! I do use Firefox as default browser but keep Explorer as an alternative for sites that limit your access.

I am going to struggle recognising what can safely be removed. Anyway no online purchases or bank access FTTB.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

If it has a combo rw CD drive it shouldn't be. ISTR all the major AV players have some sort of daily disk image that you can download and run (and provide instructions for how to do it). You obviously have to tell the PC to boot from CD first instead of HD but many are already set like that by default. It shouldn't be too hard to do this. No harder than downloading the right file from your AV vendor and following a few simple instructions. It has the advantage that you are then using software that is familiar to you. Leaving it three days after the malware got past a decent AV product is usually enough time for their countermeasures to have caught up enough to zap it.

As Fred said download it from their main site Cnet will try and flog you stuff and add its own relatively benign adware if you are careless.

Increasingly lots of updaters have default settings to install annoying destablising plugins adware "tools" for browsers - Adobe for instance.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Well, dunno, I've been using 8 for years, and yet its not supported by Google and dropbox and others. Since you cannot get any newer version for XP my advice is that after April 1st, simply make Firefox your default browser which does work and carry on as before. No not seen any adverts. You may well have missed an option to have or not have adverts or another piece of software installed. I'm sure if you look around you can disable such things, or run Malwarebytes to see if you have any dodgy stuff on your machine. IE should not auto fire up. it should be a choice, so some html is being launched at start up and regularly, which sounds like maware to me. Look in msconfig.exe and see what is running at start up, if it is not recognised by you, disable it temp wise and reboot and make sure things work. I had this once with AVG, which was one of the reasons I shunted it off my system. There are avg safe search toolbars that can be set to do this as can other toolbars. Kick them into touch, particularly the Google heap. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Then *might* be relatively benign adware - see eg

But note please I would not delete all host entries as that recommends and not download any tool. I don't have time now to find a better guide but as others have said Malwarebytes usually does the business.

Please note that this comes with no warranty whatsoever despite the fact that I am a former Microsoft developer and current drinking buddy of Angelina Jolie :)

Reply to
Robin

They all do this come and try this one ads. I suggest if you use Firefox as the default browser that the first job is to install an ad blocker, it makes sites like file hippo etc much less of a hassle. There is one for IE but it only runs for a time and then wants to be payed for, but tis cheap and seems to work well. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

This is m2pub which is adware. Irritating but not malicious. To get rid of it, browse here to download then install and run the free version of Malwarebytes Antimalware software.

Reply to
nemo

Actually, I don't think you have a serious issue. It just needs careful hunting down. Do just one thing at a time though, do not download every anti malware known to man and take the compter back to an earlier time all at once. That is not only the way to insanity, but to completely trashing the Windows operating system. It may well be amulti tsking system but it can only cope with one bit of abuse at a time!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It is good idea to use the custom installation option, to then untick boxes of unwelcome software istallations.

Reply to
Fredxxx

???

It must be YEARS since I found a site that wouldn't work with firefox ...

Are there really some left?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

At the risk of stating the obvious it the time to move on from an obsolete OS is long overdue. I had hung on to XP until a year ago when I bought a new laptop that came with Windows 7. It soon became apparent that the time to leave XP behind had come. Having installed Windows 7 on my desktop I am well pleased with it.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Well I had to line up some CISCO analogue telephone adapter units the other day via the web interface and some of the facilities on the config screen just weren't there..

Try as I might I couldn't get them to open so I could do a firmware upgrade Nothing on the CISCO support site anywhere .. so just gave up;(..

Came back to it a few days later and thought is there anything I overlooked and accidentally opened it this time in Chrome and mysteriously there're all there.

No mention of the browser to use in the manual!

Reply to
tony sayer

Work on the principle that if malwarebytes flags it, have it delete it. Keeps it simple.

Reply to
John Rumm