OT what have I done?

In message , tony sayer writes

Yes - beware of where you download Firefox from.

As my existing Firefox was not quite behaving as normal, I decided to do a fresh install. The first site that Google brings up is:

BIG MISTAKE! I was a bit suspicious when I was offered various additional 'extras' - which I rejected. But despite rejecting the kind offers, I was left with ZoneAlarm searchbar on all of my browsers, and ZoneAlarm as the home page. I'm still busy getting rid of it. Why Goog£e to££erate these bogu$ website$ is $ure£y my$tery (or i$ it?).

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Right. The full scan list on photo bucket. Looks totally confusing to me!

Tim Lamb

Like I said, have it nuke the lot of them ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

If any additional confirmation were required, totally agree, junk, junk & more junk, bin em :-)

Reply to
fred

In message , fred writes

Hooray! No morning firing up of Explorer and no advert!

Well done chaps:-)

The only changes noticed so far is that I've lost Google (UK): in explorer where you could restrict searches to your local country. The icon is still there on the toolbar but just opens up a general search. Who wants pricing in dollars?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

:-? Americans. If you don't, you can set the search engine to google.co.uk or anything else you wish either by using the right click menu on the search engine button or going into the setup program.

Reply to
John Williamson

Actually it has returned without intervention from me!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Should I strip out Malwarebytes or will it depart naturally when I fail to sign up for the paid version?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In article , Tim Lamb writes

No harm in leaving it, it will only run if you invoke it and as you've picked up junk in the past it would be worth running periodically to check for unseen naughties.

Also, you'll be re-running it in a few days to check for re-infection, right :-?

It's slightly worrying that your browser google search prefs returned on their own, that implies something has run in order to change them which looks suspicious to me. Anything dodgy will get picked up on your re-run later (with updated defs) and it may have been a prefs click you made.

While your infection appears to have been pretty benign adware, it wouldn't do any harm to download and run Malwarbytes beta anti rootkit scan (details in my first post) overnight to make a clean sweep.

Reply to
fred

In message , fred writes

Yes. Anything naughty seems to happen overnight. I did nothing to re-instate.

OK again. I have used an MS anti rootkit scan in the past. Nothing found on this machine with active Norton but my wife's laptop running Vista and no paid protection turned up something.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

It will sit there doing nothing til you run it next time. The non paid for version is not "active" or resident as such - its just a single shot scanner.

Reply to
John Rumm

Just visiting the google.co.uk site can set a cookie indicating that is your preference - then visits to the the .com automatically redirect.

Reply to
John Rumm