OT: Vitalite tub

I note with some disappointment the Vitalite round tub is no more. Does anyone know of some other consumable that comes in similarly-shaped and durable packaging? The one huge advantage of Vitalite was the re-usable container and I'm sure many thousands of households and workshops have dozens of the things containing everything from leftovers to bolts.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Grimly Curmudgeon wibbled on Friday 09 July 2010 14:23

Swedish Glace soya ice-cream - get through loads because of milk allergies in the house. Flat top, hexagonal, stacks well with good fitting lid.

Reply to
Tim Watts

round tubs waste valuable shelf space, go square

Reply to
Vass

indeed - mackies ice cream, yorks dales ice cream, spot the house with children in it innit?!

Cheers Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

lidl do a very nice 1L greek yoghurt "eridanous" brand in nice round pots with good lids, with all the soft fruit about at the moment homemade gree yoghurt + fruit make a lovely dessert.

you can also use these pots for plant pots...

Lidl's smaller 250g cream cheese tubs have good lids too but are rectangular.

dedics

Reply to
Ian & Hilda Dedic

Dairylea.

Reply to
Charlie

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Jim K saying something like:

Are these flat bowls, like Vitalite was, or are they deeper?

It's got to be shallow, about 50mm deep.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Ian & Hilda Dedic saying something like:

Sounds like they'd be too tall, then.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

*bzzzt*

The only Dairylea to buy is the original triangles. The stuff-inna-tub is an abomination. Ergo, no sensible person would have any plastic Dairylea tubs.

Reply to
CT

I'm using a couple of Sainsburys Fresh Soup containers for my odds and sods storage. Large diameter screw top, flat sided jar kind of jobby.

Reply to
rick

I though vitalite was a hit song by Desmond Dekker.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If you have a chinese take-away suppliers near you, they might have the small, rectangular plastic boxes with lids .. About 4"wide x 6"long x

2"deep. Tight lids, see-through, stack well, pretty robust.

Alternatively, find a Chinese (I guess almost any ethnic take-away) who supplies their fare in these and order shed-loads .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

In confirmation of both elements of your thesis, my old mum gets through a tub a fortnight. I could start saving them ......

Reply to
Charlie

nah he said "consumable" ;>)

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

yup - mackies is approx 50mm deep and rectangular, other is taller & rectangular

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

yeuch - is she perchance confusing it with some prescription cream?!

Jim K (mind bugling)

Reply to
Jim K

The shape doesn't matter when they end up forgotten at the back of the fridge or bottom of the freezer.{:-) Graham

Reply to
graham

We got a stack from Costco. We even store food in them sometimes..

Reply to
Bob Eager

You can buy these in supermarkets but I get mine from the 'poundland' style shops, they are about 5 for a quid. They're OK but the freezer doesn't do them any favours - a slight knock and they split, not a problem when they're full of rock hard chicken vindaloo, but a PITA when you don't notice and defrost the bastard in the microwave

Reply to
Phil L

I freeze stuff in tubs like that, then transfer the solid brick into a freezer bag (a second or two under hot water loosens the edges for quick release). Job done.

Reply to
ogden