OT Virgin TEXT News server users

I know a few of you on here use the Virginmedia TEXT.news. server, but perhaps are not aware of this.

"The text.news.virginmedia.com server was introduced to enable access to the Virgin Media Newsgroups from non-virgin media Internet connections to provide support via the Virgin Media newsgroups. As such we will be decommissioning the text.news server as part of the decision to provide online support via the community forums. This server will be set to read only (so that no further posts can be made to them) from March 22. We will also stop the news feed to this server so that no further group updates are made from this date.

The server will be physically turned off on April 30, and all customers are advised to re-point their news software to use news.virginmedia.com (which will continue to be maintained) as their news server soon as possible."

Reply to
Mike

Yes but the thing rarely works and it is these groups we want intact.

It is a social resource.

Reply to
ericp

I use news.blueyonder.co.uk I wonder if thats affected?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I notice that a few new newsgroups have been set up today :-

free.virginmedia.discussion.general free.virginmedia.discussion.broadband free.virginmedia.discussion.email free.virginmedia.discussion.mobile free.virginmedia.discussion.phone free.virginmedia.discussion.tv free.virginmedia.discussion.usenet free.virginmedia.discussion.webspace free.virginmedia.discussion.pcguard

Obviously some are not happy with the decision to provide online support via "the community forum" - I don't think I would be :-(

Reply to
Hugh Jampton

What doesn't work? The TEXT.NEWS server? This has ALWAYS worked for me it always seemed fast and stable.

Reply to
soup

don,t think you do

From: "The Medway Handyman" Message-ID:

Reply to
Mark

Quite so. It all seems to be down to the belief that anything web-based must be better, because it can be flashier. The actual practicality of following a number of forums, with no threading, killing, marking read etc. is just not considered. Unless I just need more training ;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

if you go to tools>Accounts> News>Properties>Server

and it has "text.news.blueyonder.co.uk"

yes it will as blueyonder, Ntl, and Virgin.net all point at the same Virginmedia server.

Reply to
Mike

Thanks to the OP for the reminder. I've switched to news dot again, having got brassed off with it a couple of times before, but it seems to be functioning normally for the moment.

Reply to
stuart noble

It does.

So should I change that to "news.virginmedia.com" now?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

That's what I am on now for this group and have been for a long time. For some other groups I have had to use "text.news.virginmedia.com" at times as the other route could be flakey.

Reply to
Clot

Yes. Not sure if you can just delete "text." from the existing account name (as all the other details are the same), or whether you need to create a new account and then delete the old one.

Reply to
stuart noble

I should make the most of the last few weeks of the text server

the binary server is out-sourced to Highwinds in Germany

and in many ways is not as good, which is why people used the Text server.

Just be sure you know how to change the settings when the time comes.

Reply to
Mike