OT (very): Raging toothache but no dentist

Very likely an abscess, if your dentist is shut contact your GP and get some anti-biotics prescribed that will kill the infection and take away the pain usually in less than 24 hours. Long term will likely need root canal treatment to prevent re-infection, in the meantime keep taking analgesics for pain relief.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

I would expect that with a gum problem. You could try just using Listerine as a mouth wash, several times a day.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Corsodyl might be more effective.

Reply to
Pamela

Getting antibiotics from the GP these days is like squeezing blood from a stone.

Last time I wanted some and got refused, I ended up getting them on the internet.

Reply to
Pamela

May be. I've always used Listerine. I suspect they are similar.

Reply to
Brian Reay

No wonder there is a problem with anti-biotic resistance.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Beware that it is likely it will get reinfected quite soon after the course ends. Meticulous work with interdentals and a temporary rinse regime with corsodyl is probably as good a way to keep that at bay.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

a sign of root level infection, or at least down the side of the tooth

Needs either an extraction or root canal work for the former, and serious hygiene work for the latter, none of which a dentist will want to give you right now.

I feel for you.

You are in for a bad time.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I find paracetamol pretty innefective, but I find soluble aspirin, sucked direct onto the gum around the affected tooth often does better than ibuprofen.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I was a genuine case! I probably got caught because the UK sees itself as a world leader in restricting antibiotics to patients, although it may not put it quite like that.

Reply to
Pamela

If sensitivity due to a nerve exposed, you could try Bonjela or Benzocaine all available on Amazon.

Reply to
John

The current suggestion is talk to your dentist for referral to an emergency dental service, (some are still being run by suited and booted dentists!), or failing that, phone 111.

John Rumm

especially if it is an infection and bacteria travel through the blood stream and attach to heart valves.

'Bad teeth' causes a lot of long-term heart problems if left untreated.

Reply to
Andrew

Dremel, surely ?. Much more suitable.

Reply to
Andrew

Try swilling a soluble aspirin around your mouth, and massaging it into the gum near the painful area.

Might help to take the edge off the pain.

Reply to
Andrew

I had a preplanned tooth extraction in November, The dentist gave me a single does of antibiotic powder to put in water and drink 4 hours before the planned extraction. Of couse, I should be having the replacement implant peg fitted on Friday.

Reply to
charles

Sometime ago I had to go and see a dentist in Spain, his secreatry knew a few words of English which was more than he did. H wrote me a perscription for some antibiotics and maybe something for pain relief.

The infection was cured and I saw a dentists when I returned to the UK.

Reply to
Michael Chare

indeed. Seeing a 1mm diam parallel reamer about to go into a tooth makes one realise a bit of precision is needed,

Reply to
charles

luckily I chose not to go ahead with an £3,500 impant six weeks ago because of a failed crown peg...glad I didn't....got a plate I have to use for six months then they will do a bridge...good choice I think ... bad time to need things like a implant

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...