OT - Utter F*****g madness

Apparently the M48 toll westbound (new severn bridge) is CLOSED ----- due to tollbooth staff sickness. Why no make it a free crossing during the understaffing instead of closing the road. Un effin believable. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-45069260
On 04/08/2018 17:43, Andy Bennet wrote:

I would say it was very smart.
Same tolls paid for but on one bridge with half the staff.
Often when sickness is stated as a issue, it simply isn't and a lie perpetuated by the company.
Where there's a will, there is generally a way.
On 04/08/2018 17:52, Fredxx wrote:

But they are abandoning the tolls soon. Presumably you can still cross via the other bridge?
Well I mean one could not possibly guess that at school holiday times workers might want time off could they? How could they know (sarcastic smile) Of course the astute company would have trained up temp staff for this or automated the process years ago or as you say made it free for a while, but then that would not do.
Brian
--
----- --
On Sun, 5 Aug 2018 08:19:28 +0100, "Brian Gaff"

Possibly a legal requirement?
Some footpaths in Derbyshire have a collection box for tolls, the money is trifling and one box I used looked like it had been open for years.
I believe allowing people to pass freely sets a precedent and the path becomes a public right of way.
A charity box on the motorway would probably not be risk assessed/ legally covered anyway.
Having nearly come a cropper a mile before a toll booth through some moron going through his change, I would be looking to blame someone if a similar thing happened and there was a collision.
AB
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:

I think it's only necessary to block free passage for one day per year, in order to prevent it becoming a right of way.

Alternatively, register acknowledged rights crossing your land with the local highway authority.
--
Tim Lamb

You can also make it a Permissive Path allowing people to use it without conceding ROW. To claim ROW on usage you must have 10(?) signatures of people who swear on oath that they have used it regularly for 25 years.
--
bert

I think you have to use it once a year to maintain right of way.
--
bert

On 07/08/18 15:11, bert wrote:

these days people are 'registering' private routes to establish that they are in fact private.
--
“A leader is best When people barely know he exists. Of a good leader,

+1
There is quite a long stretch of road around a popular coastal estate in mid-Cornwall, Sea Road, Carlyon Bay, St. Austell (lots of very expensive and exclusive properties with stunning sea views), and it used to be closed off on one day per year, usually Xmas Day IIRC, because that day was the least busy and least likely to cause inconvenience. Each property actually owned the stretch of road adjacent to its frontage. It doesn't show up on Google Street View, simply because it is private. But whether they still have to block it on Xmas Day to keep it private, I've no idea. https://tinyurl.com/y92zwqaa (View from Beach Road looking down Sea Road, but Google won't take you down it).
--

Chris

On 06/08/2018 04:38, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:

Not just like that. That is why some private footpaths are gated and are closed for one day of the year - it means that legally people are only using the path with the owners permission and prevents them establishing a right to do so.
In this case, they should have simply left the barriers open and set the signs on the approach to say that it was free.
SteveW