OT: uneven cooking in microwaves

--snip--

I don't think enough people would pay that much to make it worth the manufacturer making them.

People are used to paying more for washing machines and, if they go wrong, they can flood the house.

Reply to
Mark

Roger Hayter explained :

Microwaves entering food, follow the inverse square law of penetration. No matter what you or the microwave manufacturer does - The outside of surface will receive much more energy than the inside. The thicker the food, the more reliance there is on conduction of heat. Which is why liquids are so much more easily microwaved, because convection comes into play.

For solids they need to be allowed time to work, so most ovens have a defrost system. For semi solids, you can manually stir them.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

If there is a dead spot in the middle of the oven, the turntable wouldn't help. Maybe decent ovens are designed to ensure that the middle is an average microwave strength.

Reply to
Max Demian

They were £300 in the seventies (in seventies money - £3000-£4000 in today's money) - but there wasn't any choice then.

Reply to
Max Demian

Frequencies in that region are widely used for outdoors communication. Atmospheric absorption by water increases smoothly with frequency until the first resonance at over 20GHz. See:

or for much more detail:

This document was prepared for the US Air Force in 1975 and is a very comprehensive collection of what was known at that time.

There is nothing in the data to suggest that either water vapour or liquid water in the atmosphere causes special problems at around 2.4GHz. On the contrary, this is a band with much lower absorption than that found at higher frequencies.

John

Reply to
jrwalliker

The graph in this article shows the temperature variation in absorption vs frequency for liquid water between 0 and 100C. Again, there is nothing to suggest that there is anything special about 2.45Ghz.

John

Reply to
jrwalliker

Mine talks and I see Amazon has one with Alexa support that is a combination oven. I think this is the way things are going, at least till the next buzz device comes along. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

And provides less storage space, or places for the cat to sit.

Reply to
Sam E
[snip]

I usually don't wait a minute, or stir during the cooking those things don't appear to be needed.

As to another thing, people are often talking about a fork, ignoring the fact that many times a SPOON is the better utensil.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

Sometimes I imagine the "hyperentropic oven" that cooks 10 times as fast and requires a 240V 75A circuit (supplies power 10 times as fast).

BTW, since this is a fantasy device, I can add the "uncook" button to use if something gets overcooked.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

That doesn?t even show the 2.5Gz frequency.

And neither does that.

But doesn?t include the band that microwaves use.

Because they don?t even comment on that frequency.

But not a 2.5GHz.

Reply to
ZakJames

That would be okay in the UK, but I don't think it'll catch on in the USA.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Easy enough to sell to people that think you can make cold.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You can, it's called a fridge. You move the heat out of the object and push it into the kitchen. There's no reason I can think of that that cold couldn't be shoved inside the food by means of some kind of microwave type radiation.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

My microwave is plugged into a 240V 30A circuit. Every British house has a 240V 30A circuit. All the sockets in the house (or in large houses half of them) share this circuit. So you could sell me a microwave with two plugs on it to take all 30A (well 26, near enough). Just as long as I didn't only plug one in and touch the other....

That reminds me, I once needed to move the plug of a multiway adapter from one socket to another, without turning off the computer connected to one of the outlets on it. So I made a wire with a plug on each end. I plugged one into one of the adapter sockets and the other into another wall outlet, to keep it running while I shifted it. Needless to say the double plugged wire was a little unsafe :-)

Everything in life needs "edit, undo". The trouble is I sometimes subconsciously think it will, I'm so used to being able to make a mistake on a computer and just press undo. Then I go and do something in real life that cannot be undone.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I think you're onto something there; I believe the American military is testing a new kind of death ray in Area 51 which freezes the insides of the enemy.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

It shows the first resonance at around 22GHz and the general trend

Yes it does. See p9 of the PDF which shows an attenuation of <1.dB/km at 150mm/h rainfall between 1 and about 3.6GHz.

Also, see p33 of the PDF which goes down to about 2.6GHz which is pretty close.

It does - just about. The reason there is so little data there is that attenuation levels are so low they can be ignored.

See my comment above

You obviously did not look at the link I posted shortly after this one. Here it is again:

This has a nice graph of dielectric loss vs frequency over a range of temperatures from 0 to 100degC covering the frequency range

300MHz to 3THz. It shows that there really is nothing special going on at 2.45GHz.

The opinion that there is something special happening at 2.45GHz is amazingly well entrenched. Perhaps I should do some measurements of my own as I have the necessary equipment to cover the range 1 to 22GHz. I have thought about this quite a lot over the last few years - the main difficulty is creating a test setup that avoids spurious resonances which would distort the measurements.

John

Reply to
jrwalliker

I use a splayd.

Jane Black

But doesn?t show what happens below 10GHz

Nothing like that on P9

There is no P33

No it does not.

The real reason there is no data for those frequencys is because they arent useful for radar.

Useless.

That one doesn?t even show the clear peaks that the first of your links shows at higher frequencys.

Because it?s a fact.

No point given that someone must have done it already.

< resonances which would distort the measurements.

Yeah, its not trivial to measure.

Reply to
ZakJames

5