OT: Unbelievable climate change bullshit

I can't believe anyone would even consider this nonsense!
http://op-talk.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/02/20/what-if-we-lost-the-sky/
On 24/02/2015 17:56, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

Actually it is the people who don't think climate change is real that want to indulge in geo-engineering to counteract the effects of rising CO2. It may ultimately be the only answer since there is no evidence that any government is ever going to seriously reduce CO2 emissions.
If you do it right you can tweak the Earth's albedo and prevent direct sunshine from hitting the Earth. This actually happened for real in 1816 in the year without a summer after the Tambora caldra eruption and to a lesser extent in the winters of 1883-4 after Krakatoa went off.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1815_eruption_of_Mount_Tambora
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1883_eruption_of_Krakatoa#Global_climate
In short it means that if the chips are down then the planet can be cooled down by deliberately provoking the Yellowstone caldera to erupt (or a handful of other active super volcano calderas).
Not sure that many city dwellers have ever *seen* the milky way :(
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

you have just replied to a complete prick

WHAT?! If someone doesn't think climate change is real, why would he want to do anything about CO2 that isn't causing any problems?

And I hope they don't. Plants live on CO2 and would do a lot better and improve our food supply, like they did back in the days of the dinosaurs.

Or we could just let the planet do as it wishes.

People who want to live in cities are absolute morons.
--
We've come so far that community service is considered punishment.

Dinosaurs died out long before we came on the scene. (Hundreds of millions of years) The atmosphere was not that different then.
It was different in the carboniferous era. But it was not breathable to us.
Did you ever go to school?

Yes it was, how do you think the plants were big enough to sustain such huge animals?

Do you seriously think a bit more CO2 would stop us breathing air successfully? Moron. As long as we have about 20% oxygen, we'll be fine. Not even the climate change believing nitwits have ever suggested we're going to have trouble breathing.
--
Can fat people go skinny-dipping?

The planet started out with an atmosphere entirely of CO2 and nitrogen. Plants came first and converted the CO2 to O2 and Coal. Animals came later.
On 25/02/2015 15:59, harryagain wrote: ...

Where can I buy plants that produce coal? I can't find them at my local garden centre.
--
Colin Bignell

you can but you need to wait a few million years before getting the coal
--
From KT24 in Surrey

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18
On 25/02/15 16:44, Nightjar <"cpb"@ wrote:

All of them produce coal.
It just takes a few million years.
On 25/02/2015 16:44, Nightjar <"cpb"@ wrote:

Actually you can! Amongst the garden centre fossil tree survivors are:
Monkey puzzle tree aka Aucaria araucana Ginko biloba (primitive deciduous)
You can find fossils to match both of these in the coal measures and they have remained largely unchanged since then.
Neither are quick growing here - 6" a year if you are lucky. And you will have to be *extremely* patient waiting for wood to turn into coal.
Whitby jet is a form of fossilised Aucaria although far too precious to burn as coal it is worked into jewellry for goths and other tourists.
http://www.whitbyjet.co.uk/about-jet/definition.html
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Coincidentally we have one of each of these in our back garden.
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 56th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3181
I don't have an attitude problem. If you have a problem with my attitude,
On 25/02/15 21:10, Huge wrote:

try and get a government grant...
On 25/02/2015 18:19, Martin Brown wrote:

I have one of those, but it doesn't do what Harry claims and convert CO2 into oxygen and coal.
--
Colin Bignell

Don't be so impatient. Give it time
--
From KT24 in Surrey

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

I have one too. SWMBO seems to haver a fixation on them.
Just a matter of waiting. Things have slowed up now there's so much O2 in the atmosphere. However, CO2 is bulding up once more, the coal forming process may restart.
If you are short of coal, you can short circuit the process by chopping the tree down and burning it. Probably more efficent too.
Can't say I've tried to burn monkey puzzle wood. Let's know how you go on,
On 26/02/2015 00:00, Nightjar <"cpb"@ wrote:

It does if you bury the logs in an anaerobic shallow sea and then wait a few hundred million years - although aucaria coal is gem grade jet - way too valuable to burn if you are lucky enough to find a seam of it.
Why do you think fossil fuels are so named?
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Haven't yo heard of a coaliflower?
--
bert

On 25/02/2015 21:21, bert wrote:

:-)
--
Colin Bignell

On Wednesday, 25 February 2015 21:22:39 UTC, bert wrote:

Do food waste recycling places use coaliform bacteria?
Owain