Stopping a socket switch being turned off

This was discussed recently, and I mentioned fitting a special purpose cover over the switch for the freezer; it works well.

This is a different problem, and I used to have a solution but I don't know where to buy it any more.

We have elderly mother-in-law coming to live with us, and on her visits she often turns things off that really ought to be left on. However, we do want to turn these things off a fair amount, so the all encompassing cover isn't the answer.

We used to get little red plastic things from Betterware (who don't seem to do them any more). Essentially, a little hinged bit of plastic, self adhesive at one end, that fitted over just the switch. It could be popped open to operate the switch, so wasn't obtrusive. It is just enough of a deterrent.

Anyone recognise these and know where to buy them? Googling various phrases brings up thousands of irrelevant hits.

Something similar would do:

- small and neat

- not a bodge, or obtrusive

- easily disengaged

- preferably red to discourage fiddling!

Thanks for any help

Reply to
Bob Eager

Unswitched sockets for the things that are more on than off?

Reply to
Scott M

Not red, but it does prevent switches being operated accidentally:

Nightjar

Red electrical tape...?

Reply to
Adrian

google for "socket covers", but if you wnat them in read, i ssupect you'd have to paint them yourself - or use "sticky-backed plastic".

I used to use them in the wings at the theatre to prevent people knocking things off/on by accident.

Reply to
charles

How about unswitched sockets and remote control plug-in switching devices? Make sure M-i-L doesn't know where the Remote is!

Reply to
Roger Mills

No idea.

Other than telling her that the switch is is for her electcric blanket:-)

I have never seen such items in care homes or hospitals.

Reply to
ARW

Doesn't survive us turning it on and off and is a bit inconvenient.

Reply to
Bob Eager

As I said, I'm after something a LOT smaller. The things I used to use are about 30mm long and less than 10mm wide. They really fit just over the switch.

Reply to
Bob Eager

There's one covering the switch for this EJECTOR SEeeeeeee

Reply to
Graham.

Reply to
Graham.

Lateral solution: boxing gloves. :-)

Reply to
Mike Barnes

I suspect this is what you want but it was withdrawn for safety reasons a couple of years ago.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

This do?

The shit photograph doesn't inspire much confidence but maybe it would work well enough for your purposes.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Nope, that's not what I had before.

Reply to
Bob Eager

That isn't it, either, although it will probably do. The one I'm thinking of JUST covers the switch, and hinges up.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Excuse to buy a 3D printer ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

wot, for ever?

I'm tempted to suggest one of those steel security gates for her bedroom :- )

Betterware website does say "It's not possible to list everything on the we bsite. Often we'll still have stock of an item even if it's not advertised online. If you can't find the product you're looking for call our Customer Service team on 0121 251 1350 and we'll check to see if it's still availabl e." so it might be worth trying contacting them.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Well...until...

Reply to
Bob Eager

What will stop her from pulling out the plugs? Arthritis?

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts